Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
MO
let me start off by saying i'm not a pro video editor... that being said, i'm not trying to do pro things here either...

to the issue!

i have this .mov file. about 20 minutes long. i find that i can drag it in to iDVD and make a DVD of it pretty easily. this is fine, and may have to work, but i want to cut it into a couple different pieces, because it has a couple different "scenes".

i have tried two different processes (if there is a third and easier one please alert me)

iMovie - i opened iMovie and began to import the file. to import a 20 minute .mov it was going to take close to an hour. this seems unnecessarily long. like extremely uncessarily long. but like i said i don't know a ton about these things so maybe thats normal. but on a C2D MBP it seems that this should move along a little quicker...

Final Cut Pro - i opened a new file in FCP and imported the file. this went very fast but only imported about two minutes of the file. i tried dragging and dropping the file onto the browser window and the same thing happened. very strange results. i looked through the settings and menus and couldn't really figure anything out...

Can anyone explain to me what exactly is going on here? am i doing something wrong? wrong format? wrong process? wrong setting?

Thanks as always,

Jason

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I'd say that your best bet is to convert that .mov file to a DV file. This will be handled better in iMovie (and FCP, for that matter).

What is the source of this video? The .mov format is a container that can hold a variety of video/audio information, so we'll need to know a little bit more about this particular case.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
MO
It was a file on DVD given to me from someone needing a couple copies made. When I put it in it shows up as EasyShare which makes me think it was recorded on a Kodak EasyShare camera (I think they make those...)

Anyways, I'll do a search for a good converter from .mov to DV... but feel free to post one if you know it.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
If you just want to make copies, you don't need to go through the trouble of FCP or even iMovie. Just burn a new DVD from the Finder, or Toast if you've got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.