Move Apple Apps from Applications folder

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nosfan1019, Aug 31, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I liked how I had it set up on SL where most of my rarely used Apple apps were stored in an "Apple" folder, thereby not cluttering up my folder.

Yet when I try to do this in Lion it "xxx can't be modified or deleted because it's required by Mac OS X." Anybody know a way around this?

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm not sure if their is a way or not. The Apps are now linked into Launchpad with 10.7 and they probably hardwired the applications folder to launchpad to ensure every app on the Mac is accessible.

3. macrumors regular

There is no safe way of doing this. Apple has added extensive sandboxing and security features to Lion that prevent even the removal of some directories from ~/Library. They have locked down their apps in kind. Learn to live with it. Organize Launchpad to workaround this, use another app launcher, or suffer a cluttered Applications folder.

4. macrumors 6502

Why don't you just make a folder with shortcuts to your most used apps. This way you won't have to see the apps you don't use very often. You could even make another separate folder with shortcuts to the apps that you don't use very often. This way the system Applications folder will remain unmodified.

There are many ways to start an app (spotlight, dock, etc.), but this might work for you (if I understand correctly what you're trying to do)

5. macrumors 68030

Just tried moving System Preferences.app and while it made me authenticate, I was able to move it successfully to a folder within Applications.