Move applications to different drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by isaacc7, May 25, 2005.

1. isaacc7 macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2004
    I have an old Mac that I lovingly refer to as my FrankenMac. It started life as Beige Desktop 233 MHZ G3. It now is a 450 MHZ G4 with firewire, usb, max memory, and a new video card. I'm running 10.3.9 on it and it runs very well as a file server, internet surfing, and word processing machine. Here's the problem, I still have it's original 4 gig hard drive in it and I'm running out of room. There is an external 160GB LaCie drive that has lots of room on it. Here's what I was wondering... Since most of my files that are growing are my user account and my applications, I thought I'd move them over to my LaCie and just leave the system files on the internal drive. I've tried to move my user file over by using an article I found on the web. I didn't do so well, I tried to do what it said to do, but it just tried to copy itself onto the same drive. Maybe if I knew a bit more about command line stuff I could make it work, but no dice so far. Would moving my applications over to the other drive be any easier? How would I do it without breaking any sort of links? Any help or advice would be appreciated! Thanx!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Most of the time, you can just copy the file / folder in the applications directory over to the new drive in Finder and it should work fine. It might be a lot better to make the LaCie bootable and boot off of it though.... 4G is tiny! :eek: