Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBICO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2017
Tromsø / Norway
I setup an ISCSI drive at home for a secure backup raid, but also because of disk space. I run the mac pro 2013 and are a part time photographer. So use it for photo editing.

The Synology RS816 is setup with normal shared folder, my dropbox/onedrive/googledrive/synologydrive, ISCSI with GlobalSan target on my MAC.

So far I have successfully moved all my cloud service to the NAS so that the NAS sync all the files to the cloud service and make it independent from the mac itself. Then I could turn off my MAC without it need to sync first. Also free resources both disk space, ram, cpu since I do not have any other software running in the background while working.

I have moved the other two users that I have on my mac to the ISCSI by right click on the user and choose advanced options. There I could choose a folder on external drive instead. That free up around 24gb right there.

I moved the iTunes catalog/folder by pressing option key when starting iTunes, that let me create a new folder/catalog on my ISCSI drive. But when I try to backup my iPhone 256gb I am not able since there is not enough disk space. My SSD got 256gb, and had 33gb free before cleaning up.

Now the next step.. default TEMP. I suspect that iTunes use default TEMP folder in Sierra even if the folder itself are located on the ISCSI drive. The TEMP is on my small SSD disk, so there would never be enough space.
So does anyone have a clue about how to change the location of my TEMP file? Maybe also the application folder without moving my administrator user to the ISCSI? I do not want to move my default admin user to another drive.

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Open iTunes > Preferences
Click on Devices
This will show the previous iPhone backups. You might want to delete the older backups.

These backups can be found in your User's Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups folder. Do a Get Info on this folder to find how much space they are taking up. I've seen these to be huge with many old outdated backups.

You can copy this folder to an external drive if you want to keep the old backups. You could also try moving the folder and using an alias or symlink to the external drive in the folder so all future backups go to the external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.