move iTunes library to new user

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zelmo, Jul 6, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

What is the easiest way to move the music and photo libraries from the Home folder into a new user folder?

2. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Am I reading between the lines properly - all I have to do is copy the files into the shared folder, log out, log back in under her user, then copy them into her folder?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ok. I didn't mean you should do exactly as the article said, just that you might be able to get an idea or two from it... ;)

What if you try to (with help from the article above), from your old (admin) account, Consolidate the music out to a "neutral" place (e.g. /Documents/), copy the iTunes Library file to her ~/Music/iTunes/ folder, and then, from your daughters account Consolidate it into somewhere in her Home folder, e.g. ~/Music/iTunes/ where there should be an iTunes Music folder by default?

And with iPhoto I have no better idea then to export all the images e.g. to /Documents/ and then import them from there when in your daughters account.

Edit: I see you took the point before I managed to explain it... ;)

4. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Gee, can I get banned for calling myself an idiot?

This all makes sense to me now. I don't know where my head was, but I've gotta take a shower to get this stuff off my face :eek:

Thanks for the friendly kick in the seat. Glad you missed my head. ;)

5. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

If you have a root account enabled it is even easier. You can skip the step of copying the files to the shared folder.