Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
I own a rather extensive library of films (some from iTunes, some pirated) that I keep in my iTunes Library, as it is the most convenient for me.

Due to lack of storage (I have a 128 GB MacBook Air) I purchased a 1TB external hard-drive (link for those interested), so that I could move most of my media (photos, documents, movies...) to save space.

However, I encountered a problem when transferring my movie library: as soon as I opened one with iTunes, it automatically was copied to iTunes' default movie location on my drive (/Users/[USER]/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Home Videos/), which was precisely what I was trying to avoid.

In a nutshell, I would like to transfer my movies to my external, but still have full access to them via iTunes, all without copying the files to my internal disk drive.

Thanks in advance!

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced Preferences -> Uncheck "Keep iTunes Media folder organized"

and

iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced Preferences -> Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library"

Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.