Move MS office to another Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iLoveiTunes, Jun 20, 2011.

1. iLoveiTunes, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2011
    for office 2011 :

- copy microsoft folder from older macs Applications folder To --> Applications folder (on target/new mac)
    - copy ~Library/Application Support/microsoft folder to Target Mac
    - copy ~Library/prefrences/*microsoft* to Target Mac
    - copy ~Library/users/your_username/Library/preferences/*microsoft* to Target Mac
    - Copy ~Library/users/your_username/Library/Application support/Microsoft to target Mac.

And voila ...MS office is now on your new Mac. Do note however that you must keep only one copy of MS office active post the move to avoid getting into any licensing trouble.
  2. macrumors 6502

Apr 26, 2011
    You missed files installed in the main Library folder that are used by Office. It's always best to run the installer to get all files needed.

See this link for all files installed by Microsoft Office 2011.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 26, 2011
    I agree...running installer is the best way to do this but I lost my DVD during my move to west coast and had no option but to resort to this method. BTW, It's working fine so far with all this file copy.
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    Do you have the product code/registration number to activate it? if so, just download the demo and use that code