Move Over Christopher Columbus, China Map Lays Claim to Americas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lacero, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4609074.stm
    go crazy.
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

where was it... where was it...

somewhere i saw or read a piece about the remains of an old chinese ship being found in south america, chile perhaps. economist? frontline? i can't recall.

the gist was that it was pre-1492 and it gave weight to some who believe the chinese discovered america before columbus. still, there's that pesky leif eriksson thing...

3. silverback66 macrumors regular

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

There's been a lot of chinese jade found in central and South America. Also the temple at Palenque has what could possibly be described as an asian influence.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This has already been covered by several books, the most seminal of which is perhaps Gavin Menzies' 1421, a fascinating study of Zheng He and his surveying and treasure fleets. There is even evidence of a battle between a Chinese colony on the Canadian coast and Greenlanders on the opposite shore! An amazing read. I read it about a year ago, and was greatly impressed. There's a whole website devoted to it:
    http://www.1421.tv/the_book.asp

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hmmm. The map's relatively accurate geography of Central America, and bays roughly corresponding to Hudson's Bay, Gulf of St. Lawrence and presumably the Fraser river, could only be got from a complete circumnavigation of North and South America (no Canal, boys). Not likely in 1418. But information readily available to the copyist in the 1700's.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

why do you feel that's unlikely?

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I would strongly recommend you read the book 1421 to which I posted a link above. Not only does it assert that Zheng He & Co circumnavigated the earth, mapped Antarctica's coastline and landed on the Australian coast, but that they made a northerly passage along the Siberian coast. There is much evidence to show this. Columbus is said to have used a map copied from one of the Chinese charts to navigate to the Caribbean.

And "Benjamin Franklin's Tower" is supposed to be of Chinese origin!

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Where do you think they came from? ;) Perhaps calling them "Indians" wasn't so wrong after all. But yeah, as mentioned, all CC discovered was the West Indies. There were people already there too, but since Europe didn't know about them, I guess they didn't exist. :rolleyes: Even if the Chinese got here before that, and the Vikings before them, the fact still remains that somehow the Native Americans probably crossed over through the bridge that used to be between what is now Alaska and Russia, but we killed and bullied most of them, so we get to keep it.

I just wonder who they "discovered" when they got here. :confused:

11. angelneo macrumors 68000

The next thing you know, China will want to claim America as one of their own, citing that they discoverd America first.....

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Why go through the pesky claims process when you can just pay cash? Like they already have.

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

And most historians think this is bunk. A quick google search comes up with this website as a starting point for those who might question some of these claims.

14. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

There is that tiny little point isn't there? "Discovered" just may not be the most appropriate word here. :rolleyes:

15. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Yeah, any of you guys heard of Vikings? Just a touch before these guys being debated here

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

This is a really stupid discussion. Norwegian/Icelandic Vikings had at least one settlement going in America in the 11th century, after Leif Eiriksson (son of Eirik Raude who founded Norse settlements on Greenland) landed in North America (probably New Foundland) in 1000-1002... :rolleyes:

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hmmm.
    :eek:

As I said, I read it some time ago, before it had been at least partially debunked. Despite a rather unfortunate Graham Hancockesque tendency to include "evidence" which further research would have disproved, I still think the basic outline is fairly compelling. But then I was very keen on the Fingerprints of the Gods for a while, too, and that did turn out to be a bit of a crock of sh*t..:rolleyes:

19. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

As long as you aren't keen on this guy, I've no problem. :eek:

skunk, I'm no expert on Menzies' claims, just trying to give the other side its proper respect. It is instructive that most Chinese historians dismiss his claims, when one would expect a certain amount of nationalism to push them to accept them.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Rest assured, Erik has never been Red.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Very good! Very good! On that note, it must be time for me to Leif.