Move PC Hard Drive to Mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AtHomeBoy_2000, Apr 5, 2005.

1. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

In October, I am thinking of buying a Mac for where I work. I currently have a PC with 2 hard drives (both 80 GB). I was wondering if it is possible to take the slave drive out and put it in a PowerMac. Obviously I would need to format it for Mac. I am not super knowledgable on the insides of a computer and I am even LESS knowledgable on how the insides of a Mac work. Any help would be appreciated.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Which Power Mac do you have? Different PMs have different ways to connect hard drives. This goes the same for PCs.

3. 36183 Guest

if they are sata drives and your on a powermac g5 you will have no problems.

if they are IDE you will need to get converters.

4. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I dont have the Mac yet.I wont be buying one until October. but the one i want to the low end 1.8 GHz Power Mac. As for the PC, (I am going to sound really stupid because i dont know what type of conection it is) but the hard drives are hooked up through the grayish color cable that is thin, but like 3" wide.

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I sorry, I ment which mac you are you purchasing. There are a lot of used G4 out there.

That cable is probably an IDE connection. It won't work without an exta piece. I think you can get an IDE PCI card to make it work.

EDIT:
    It might be easier to just purchase a new hard drive. Serial ATA drives (which the G5s use) aren't the cheepest, but I'd at least look into it.

6. 36183 Guest

hehe. all that tells me is that you got a 3.5 inch drive. it needs to have SATA connection to work on the G5 powermac without needing to get a SATA to IDE converter.

7. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

You can get a FireWire or USB2 enclosure and hook it up to your new mac or if you get a 2nd hand G4 you can just hook it up internally without any problem...

October is still far far away... so no problems to have right now ;-)

8. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

yeah, the easiest solution would just be to get an external case for the hard drive. these range from as low as $20 (for a bare IDE to firewire converter) to $100 for a deluxe case with firewire, USB and even ethernet connectors.

9. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Well obviously that's the easy way. I am buying the G5 for my computer at church and I am on a VERY slim budget. If I can shave $200 off the price, then i need to. Hence why i figured I would move the slave drive from one computer to another.

10. AtHomeBoy_2000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

where do i go about finding something like that?

11. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

kazaam!

EDIT:my bad. It seems that newegg doesn't let you post searches. Try going to the site and searching for "firewire enclosure" they're all there and the prices are awesome