Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've been experimenting with Apple Music for over a month now, but there are still a few important questions that pop up with the new music streaming service, the first being "How can I import my playlists from Spotify?"

How-to-Move-Spotify-Playlist-to-Apple-Music-9-800x424.png

The short answer is that you can't without using third-party software. After much research, we've found there are two fairly reliable third-party services that work well. One is called STAMP, and the other is called Move to Apple Music. Both automatically search for and add tracks from Spotify to Apple Music so you don't have to manually go through your entire collection song-by-song. While the end result is pretty much the same, each app offers different features.

Before you get started, make sure you are logged into iTunes with your Apple ID and subscribed to Apple Music.

With both STAMP and Move to Apple Music, you can download the program from each company's website. Both apps must be given special permission to control your computer.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Move Your Playlists from Spotify to Apple Music

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I love that the example is a friend of mine's track from a disney album. It's not exactly a "mainstream" track either...

ART5000

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2004
iTunes was already bloated and crap, Apple Music just made it infinitely worse.

Totally agree. Love Apple but you can't be king with everything.

Apple Music is bloated. Spotify is super simple! Apple music streams have lag times Spotify doesn't. Spotify has easy to make folders and subfolders and easy to go from song to ALL of that artist's music and apple music doesn't.

I don't need a super celeb radio station. I just need what I want to hear. Radio is so, you know. Why would I want to hear constant one-liners from these cele Djs? Don't get it. Quick the babble, play the music.

Nidron

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Stockholm
I have loved and stuck with Apple through many years, but move from Spotify to Apple Music? Nowadays, iTunes is just an iPhone sync-app, otherwise a sad, dead 60GB on my hard drive, and Apple Music is an uninspiring, boring mess. I expected more from Apple. Unless a miracle happens, no thanks. :(

Reactions: Mums

thmsup

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
> had a Spotify subscription for almost 2 years
> canceled it for Apple Music
> did not go back to Spotify since
> went back today cuz I had to open it in order to transfer playlists
> instantly saw 2 new recommended playlists I've never seen before with 30+ tracks each
> loved about 70%
> never had that feeling with the 12-16 track playlists at Apple Music
> now really don't like Apple Music at all anymore
> canceled subscription

Thanks for the article though.

"Personally curated" or algorithm ... Whatever Spotify is doing works way better.

And don't say it is because I used it for 2 years. I hearted songs, liked artists and all I ever got was "intro to artist xyz" with 12 of his songs of which 8 were very popular whereas the remaining 4 weren't...

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
No use for me until Apple allow completely separate playlists. I don't want random songs clogging up "My Music" just because I want them on a playlist. Spotify wins hands down here.

Reactions: ignatius345

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
I've had more than a dozen albums on iTunes for years and Apple has yet to make them available through Apple Music. It's really frustrating - my artist name and page shows up empty on Apple Music - despite my having adhered to all their requirements for listings. This has really put me off Apple Music.

EDIT: Just looked again and my songs / albums are finally there lol. So maybe I like it now ;)

gietoboger

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
Spotify was my favorite app, but since they implemented the Discover Weekly playlist, i'll stick with Spotify for sure. Have you guys listened to that playlist? Not sure if they rolled it out to all users though.

ramonfritsch

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2015
If i could get this to work https://github.com/simonschellaert/spotify2am that would be ideal for 10k songs. STAMP and Move to Apple Music just take too long.

"A delay of 30 seconds seems fine to import large libraries into Apple Music."

This one takes as much as the other options. Plus this free script doesn't do a great job matching songs, which by the way is a hell of difficulty!

Reactions: splifingate

HoosierBadger

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2015
Correction: just ran the program and they gave me an XML file with all of my playlists on it (from spotify). It was as easy as clicking Library -> Import Playlist ->playlists.xml . Now I have all of my spotify playlists on my apple music!

jdm1989

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2015
Installed STAMP and tried to get it to work. now my mac has no internet access on either wired or wireless connections. Any ideas what went wrong?

cruelfate

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2015
Sharon, MA
Installed STAMP and tried to get it to work. now my mac has no internet access on either wired or wireless connections. Any ideas what went wrong?

I'm sorry to say that in my estimation STAMP is simply malware. I observed it attempting to set up a man-in-the-middle proxy and install bogus certs in the system trust store. I've reported the domain of this application vendor to search sites.

Check your network proxy settings.

bimusiek

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
I'm sorry to say that in my estimation STAMP is simply malware. I observed it attempting to set up a man-in-the-middle proxy and install bogus certs in the system trust store. I've reported the domain of this application vendor to search sites.

Check your network proxy settings.
Hey, I am founder of Stamp.

We are not malware. We DO NOT send any data from your computer to any servers except for license key. (you can sniff packets if you want).

App creates LOCAL proxy on YOUR COMPUTER. This way, it can steal cookie from iTunes and pretend to be iTunes to add songs.

PS. Stamp has been featured on Rdio farewell page, we had been in contact with them and they did not have problem how app works.

bimusiek

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2015
Hey, go to network settings and disable proxies. It happens from time to time, we tried to make sure Stamp will disable proxy automatically but there is some weird bug that sometimes block this.

You can always drop us an email at contact@stampapp.io in case of any problems. :)

luuka

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2016
what i found so far: apple music seems better at radio (more diversity)...however...spotify also provides radio for a playlist (apple music doesn't)...and: apple music doesn't scrobble...essential for me...so, returning to spotify

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Nowadays, iTunes is just an iPhone sync-app, otherwise a sad, dead 60GB on my hard drive
Garbage in, garbage out. I regularly add and curate albums to my iTunes library. I've got about 15 years worth of music and video in there, organized into albums, collections and playlists with lyrics and good cover art. And unlike Spotify or Apple Music, I know none of it is going to suddenly disappear just because some licensing agreement somewhere expired.

My one experiment with Apple Music dug into my own tracks and screwed up album names (attributing songs from specific albums to some crappy "Best Of" for instance) and artwork all over the place. I ended up restoring my whole library from a backup and never touched it again.

I use Spotify too, and love it for what it is -- but iTunes is my actual music library, and while y'all are complaining about how "bloated" you think iTunes is, remember that some people are actually using it as an archiving tool.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.