Move Swap off the boot partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gammamonk, Jul 23, 2005.

1. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

I have a problem, in that my boot partition is critically full. ( I made it 10 gigs thinking that was excessive for only an OS )

The reason it's so full, is two-fold. The first reason is that tons of apps ONLY install on the boot partition. The second is that my swap file gets pretty huge. How huge I don't know, because both "top" and "Activity Monitor" tell me over 9gigs. And on a 10 gig partition with OSX installed, that's impossible.

There's a previous thread on the topic of moving the swap file, which links to a detailed write-up, but in my googling I've found many people saying on 10.4 these tricks no longer work, or mess up their system. The link is below if you'd like to see.

Previously posted Andy Moraitis Link

Has anyone tried to move their swap file for aesthetic or performance reasons? Could you point me to a how-to?

2. gammamonk thread starter macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

3. frick macrumors member

Looks like nobody ever provided this guy with an answer?

I'm interested in moving the swap partition off of my mac mini's internal drive to a (much faster) external firewire drive. Does anyone know if the link provided in the above post still applies for 10.4?

4. superwoman macrumors regular

As the article pointed out, did you try editing the swapdir variable in the /etc/rc file?

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Would it be easier to clone the 10 gig hard drive, redo the partitions, and then put the data back on it?

6. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My swap file is on a separate 5 gig partition of my internal hard drive (I've never seen it get above 4.8 gigs according to act. monitor).

Everything you could possibly need (plus an automatic tool to help out) is here. http://www.math.columbia.edu/~bayer/OSX/swapfile/