Move Users folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by andrewheard, Apr 13, 2006.

1. andrewheard macrumors regular

Hi,
    I just bought an external firewire hard drive for my mac mini. I'm going to install OS X on the external drive because its faster and I was wondering what the best method is for moving the Users folder to my internal drive.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

How many users do you have already on your machine? If it's just you I'd say just make a backup and copy it over.

3. andrewheard thread starter macrumors regular

Its only 1 but the problem is that there are so many methods out there to mount the users hard drive.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes, there are ways to move your Users folder to an external drive off of your system disk. It just sounds like you want to move your Users folder onto the FireWire drive with your system folder. That is instead of having them both on two separate disks.

5. andrewheard thread starter macrumors regular

Oh I see where I confused you. What I want to do is install OS X on external and leave Users on the internal. Could I just change my users directory with NetInfo manager?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

NetInfo manager is how I use my network mounted home directory. Still, I've seen terminal commands to get your Users folder on an external drive while keeping your System folder internally. Just not what you want. :D