Movie poster frames

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by apfhex, Feb 24, 2007.

1. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I have a couple of posters that I'd like to get framed to keep them in good condition (and to look better of course). One is an actual movie poster, the other is just the same size as one (27x40). I don't want to pay too much for frames (really can't afford much either), but I don't want total crap ones either. Wanting something with a minimalistic appearance. What are some good places to look and what kind of prices should I expect?

2. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Those things are a royal pain in your a...rmpits.

I've tried something similar and they ripped/tore the poster about 50% of the times you tried attaching them, destroying a very large portion of my posters... :mad:

Now, they might have been approved over the years, but I still wouldn't use them for anything important.

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Hhm. I've only used the one but it was seemless to get it on. Sadly i got rid of it when the poster got ripped because my cat decided to take an "adventure" up it. Wasn't impressed

That could be considered a reason for not buying it as there is no glass to stop Catsopher Columbus from trying to prove that the poster is infact climbable and there is a great view from the top

5. Lau Guest

Can you get to an Ikea? They have a lot of cheap, simple frames.

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I've used these guys a lot:

http://www.pictureframes.com/

The cheapest prices I've found, although you do need to be handy with a mat cutter. For movie posters, I'd recommend any of the metal frames, and make sure you get plexiglass, not real glass. The weight difference is significant. For backing, you can use foamcore. Don't use cardboard, it's too acidic. If I remember correctly, movie posters tend to be about 27 x 34. If you have it professionally framed, beware that many shops will permanently glue the poster to the backing board.

7. apfhex thread starter macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, that's an idea. IKEA's a bit of a drive from here but I've been there before. Have to make a day out of it though...

Yikes, really? Looks extremely expensive to me, unless I'm missing something. :confused: EDIT: ok, nevermind, I was looking at the wrong thing. Lets say I wanted to order some 27"x40" metal frames ("777FGN Economy Metal"), am I just getting the metal or is there a backing+front (glass or plexiglas) too?