Movie storage expansion options for ATV2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stuartmeyers, Feb 19, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2010
    Hi All, Love this forum section, has some great stuff for those learning about and enjoying the Apple multimedia world.

I have two windows (Vista and Windows 7) notebooks with iTunes home shared and I am running out of disk space to store my movies. I have read this forum for a while about NAS, MacMini, USB drives, another PC etc to expand my storage. Looking to consolidate opinions to suite budget which is to not spend alot.

Option 1: Buy a large USB drive (1TB is enough for a while) and put the movies on it then when I want to watch a movie thats not on a notebook, plug it into my notebook. I would also have to stuff around with iTunes.

Option 2: I have an old XP notebook I could setup on the network but it doesn't have much internal storage. Would need to plug in USB to that.

Option 3: Plug a new USB into my Airport Express but am not sure if it is supported. If so, performance will be questionable.

MacMini sounds like a good option but expensive. Not sure if I want to buy an old Mac either as I have always used Windows. Not sure if I want to buy an old PC as I dont have much space for it.

Summary, USB is good price and will expand for storage requirements but I have big concerns on performance.

Any thoughts?
  2. macrumors P6

Jan 24, 2010
    You cannot do number 3. Only the Extreme and Time Capsule can do that.