Movie + Subtitle Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkNetworks, Aug 6, 2005.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Firstly, i'm sorry for posting twice but i don't get any reply from the other forum.
    Okay i've got this movie, in .avi format, and the subtitle for the movie in .srt format.I'm only doing this for once i mean only one movie so i'm not planning to spend any cash at all to get a software for this.i was hoping if there's any program that is free.I've Quicktime Pro.I was hoping i can find a player that will play the movie with the subtitles in it.I know how it can be done on a Windows system, but on the Mac side, i'm completely lost, so i really need some help.And, how can i create a video-cd or vcd so that i can play the movie on a regular vcd player with the subtitles on it as well.I've got Toast.Anyone knows how this can be done?I really need this...thankz in advance...

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I believe that VLC will allow you to play movies with external soft-subs, though I've never tried it—the only soft-sub stuff I've ever played has been MKV files which I know work. You can get it at www.videolan.org. You might also want to try mplayer. As for burning VCDs though, I have no idea. VCDs stink, so I've never bothered making one. Good luck though. :p

3. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Okay, thankz for the moment, i'll try it out, i'm considering putting it in a dvd but some of the people i'm giving this thing to don't have dvd player so it's pretty much sad...

4. sukhoi macrumors newbie

did the VLC work? for me it certainly did not....anyone can shed some light on this? i have a movie in avi format and the subtitles are in srt and sub formats, any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

5. 00poop6x macrumors newbie

Try VLC player again. Go to 'File' -> 'Open File' ->'Browse' choose your movie file (.avi) -> Check the 'Load subtitles' -> 'Settings' next to where you checked -> 'Browse' Choose your subtitle (.srt) ->'OK' ->'OK'

6. sukhoi macrumors newbie

I works! perfectly! lol sorry i did not do muct research before i blurted out here.

Thanks a ton for the reply. much appreciated. thanks.

7. KSource macrumors member

Actually I was wondering if anyone experiences laggy playback with mkv formats, I use VLC Player and it lags badly.

I have 1.2 gig of ram so I'm guessing it's a codec issue, I've downloaded the mkv splitter, but no luck.

8. wisredz macrumors regular

Same problem over here.

I have VLC and Macplayer or something like that. I did try to do everything previously written over here. The problem is the subtitle is coming ages later than the video. I tried every goddamned thing. And yes, I have the correct subtitle.
    Could work only one movie, and that was Amadeus. .avi files all of them.
    please help, I'm getting seriously disturbed by this.

9. padale macrumors newbie

Not so Simple way

Okay, to burn a mkv file with subtitles, you will have to download two free software's. First is a software called Burn here.

burn-osx.sourceforge.net

Next you will need a conversion program called "ffmepgX" I think you can find it here:

ffmpegX.com

Install both programs onto your Mac. You will have to get some additional files for the ffmepgX program but they tell you where to get them.

Now open the ffmepgX program and drag the mkv file to where it says "Drop Here", under the summary tab. In the window to the right it will come up with a suggested conversion. Click and hold on that window and change it to "DVD mpeg2enc".

Now if there are subtitles that you want to be included, Click on the filters tab, and click on the VOB box. You will need to know what channel the subtitles are on, Usually on channel 2, so click where it says 0 and change it to the channel that the mkv has the subtitles on, usually 2 or 3.

Leave the next box on "Burn" and it will burn the subtitles into the movie.

You can change the movie parameters or alter almost anything about the movie with this program but these short steps will get you started. Click "ENCODE" and wait for it to convert.

After conversion, you may have many files, but the one your interested in is the "ff.mpg" file. This file will usually not open with Quicktime. You can open and view it with VLC if you want. Check to make sure the subtitles are there in the movie if you wish.

Drop the "ff.mpg" file into the BURN program after you click the tab for video and DVD. It will tell you that it is not a compatible file and ask if you wish to convert it. Say yes and follow the instructions till it burns onto your DVD a disk. This has worked for me every time. Good luck and happy converting.:p