Movie Theater will never take my money for candy again!

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Aug 15, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

First of all, sorry about the quality. My ELPH was at home and my Coolpix 995 was dead here at work, so i tried to make due with a screen shot of the iSight, but you get the point. Well I was tired of buying candy at the movies because the prices are high (although thats the only thing they make money on). So i started buying this candy at Wal-Mart, but wal mart stopped carrying it. so i decided to go to the source, i order from a wholesaler. basically a brown box came into today wth 30 boxes of cookie dough bites. Price 23 dollars, if you order over 400 they pay shipping. sincei didnt need that much candy it cost 7 dollars even. so i came out a little under as if i bought at walmart. www.vmeecc.com

iJon

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

haha! That's great! :D But you need to really like to eat the candy and hope its not chocolate when the temp is up in the 90s......

Good deal, too. But don't usually buy anything but popcorn when going to the movies and even that's way too much these days.

D

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You mean a box of Milk Duds doesn't really cost $6???:p

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

sweet god...that's a lot of candy!! :eek:

too bad I'm not a candy eater...I usually bring a granola bar or something whenever I go to the show... ;)

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

When I was little, my mom would take us to the store to buy candy for the movie and she'd sneak it into the movie in her purse...it's amazing how pissed the movie theaters get if they catch you with your own candy, I've seen them actually kick people out for bringing their own Milk Duds.

6. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well i learned why, my friend used to work at a movie theater. he said they hardly make money on the movie. them make more money the more the movie has been out, and we all know the more the movie has been out, the less people go. so thats where the candy comes in, they make money there. the other day my friend and i went to see 28 days later, we went to wal mart and bought us 2 20 ounce drinks and i walked in there with my hoody on in 90 degree weather with drinks in the shirt, didnt get caught.

iJon

7. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i never buy candy there. i usualy sneak in candy from CVS on the other part of the mall, or go to shop rite on the way. sometimes i even sneak in asoda! the prices are ridiculous!:eek:

never will i buy anything from a movie theater except for a ticket or popcorn, but i might be forced to sneak in everything eventually with higher prices and less money. includoing myself:p

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Here you can get a movie ticket for only $5.50 if you have a student ID, it's nice to get nearly $4 off your ticket, but then you notice you end up paying more for a soda at the concession stand than your ticket...that's just crazy. I remember after a movie thinking I was thirsty but the cheapest thing they had was a $4.75 bottle of water! It's worse than Disney World!

9. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

It would be really hilarious if you got REALLY sick of that candy with like 20 boxes left. I always have to rotate. Too much of the same thing and I get sick of it.

:)

Alia

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

You can give the rest to me if you get sick of it. :)

11. sacrilicious macrumors regular

That is perhaps a lot of money saved. I'm tempted to do this with Redbull...$2-3 a can is a little more than I'd like to spend. Anyone know about getting that online? I've only looked at eBay.

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Must....... not...... buy.......

wow - I really want all that. And it is a great deal. I want to stay in tip-top shape for school though, so I better not ;).

Thanks for tempting me though :).

scem0

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

You honestly like Red Bull enough to buy it in mass quantities? Wow....

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

that is classic iJon. you should lug it into the theater and sell it person to person at half the price of the theater.... i bet you would still manage a massive profit margin.

the times are ahead when we'll need to sneak in microwaved popcorn bags (theater butter flavor, naturally) in our purses. i'll make sure that if i find a girlfriend in college, she has an utterly massive purse.

15. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

sorry to temp to again scem, but this makes it look much better.

iJon

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah Might look at Distrubitors

But red-bull is really hard to come by, because they hold a tight grip on the sale of this product.

Much better image.

17. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

My girlfriend never carries a purse...perhaps I should ask her to...cheap popcorn and candy...mmm...no more $4 Raisinettes!

18. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

also check out some of these sites guys. i believe its mckandy.com. they have a great selection, but a poor price on the cookie dough bites. they had 144 bags of m&m's for like 41 dollars. equaled out to be 20 something cents a bad. get a couple of buddies together and you got yourself some cheap ass candy. and i thought sams was good.

iJon

19. gello2424 macrumors member

5.50 for a movie!!

WOW! I wish me and my girlfriend went to the movies the other night and with the student discount it was 21.50!!!

Here is CA at the Irvine Spectrum they have to be making money. Every movie just about is sold out Wed. through Sun.

I like that bulk buy deal. Here i go to Cosco and get Sour Patch Kids...my girlfriend loves those things.

20. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

well i messed up one on thing. the candy was 23.70 and freight was 5.69. bringing it to a total of 29.39.

Wholesaler - 29.39

Wal-mart - 32.17 (with tax and then having to go each time, plus they dont sell it anymore.)

Theater - 67.50

iJon

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Everyone buys a ticket. Only some people buy snacks. So it would be more fair if all the theaters raised their ticket prices and stopped overcharging for popcorn and candy and drinks and other snacks. Will it ever happen? No.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That candy looks good iJon!

Now I see why I don't go to theater's. Prices have really gone up. It certainly makes it hard for a family!

23. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

the movie prices dont bother me. for the same reason i dont want to watch the summers blockbuster hit in mplayer with fuzzy sound a bootleg quality on a 20 inch cinema display. its just for some candy that hardly lasts me the movie. i would rather buy it for 125% less.

iJon

24. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Movie food prices...

Jeez - don't get me started...

I went to Terminator 3 the other day (a really "feel-good" movie, wouldn't you agree? Just let me slash my wrists now...), and thought it necessary to get a slushie and a box of popcorn. The ticket price was OK - £6.50 (in the city, expect to pay TWICE that amount...), but for my extravagant meal, I paid an extra £8.50.

I mean - WTF?!?!?

It was NEVER that bad before. Stuff it - I'm REALLY going out to buy that widescreen TV now. Who NEEDS the movies?!?

:mad:

25. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

mmmmmmh, CANDY!!!

the prices on pop, beer and candy/popcorn are not that high here in Germany, so you can always afford a medium size drink or two bottles of beer. that's why I never sneak stuff in (o.k., sometimes to multiplex theatres, I don't want to harm the little more arty ones that struggle for survival)...
    but the prices some people mentioned above are just insane! when water costs more than the ticket, something is wrong!!!

vSpacken