Movie whole iTunes Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ddk121, Mar 5, 2007.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Hey!
    I currently have my itunes library on my iMac G5, which I am now selling to my friend. I have a Macbook, which I am looking to move my itunes library to. What is the easiest way I can do this? I do not have a firewire cable.
    Thanks
    ddk121

Does anyone know?

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well since you have no cables I suppose the best would be to use the Airport network? :confused:

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Buy a firewire cable, it will be worth it. You can put your source drive into target disk mode. Hold down the t key while booting. Make sure the cable is attached to both computers. The source drive will appear on the desktop of the destination computer. Copy your library into your iTunes library folder. Make sure you also copy the library files so that you get all your playlists, etc. Might be a good idea to make sure both Macs are running the same version of iTunes. Short of a firewire cable you could back it up to several dvd discs based on the size of the library but the cable will be the best route.

4. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

wireless will be slow

I had to do it that way as I have a laCie drive that crashed. I was able to do some hacking and get my iMac to recognize it again, but I could not use MacDrive to see it on a windows system to copy over.
    I ended up starting on Friday night and sometime monday morning it finished copying :eek:

Now I need to reformat the drive and then it should copy via firewire.

5. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

What about with Windows?

A friend ask me last week how to do this with his windows machines.

His desk top machine has died. He has it backed up and now wants to put it on the laptop (also windows.)

I very rarely use iTunes on XP.

Can anyone point me to a resource?