movies and videos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CommonMan, Jan 18, 2007.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

Lets say I want to buy a movie like "Citizen Cane" and lets say I want to do this via the internet. Also, I would like to watch this movie on my video iPod. Do I need some special software? Do I need to buy Quicktime pro. I just got an older iMac and a video ipod. I'm chomping at the bit to use the iPod to watch movies. I've been very successful at using iTunes and the iPod to capture, organize and enjoy music files. I'm ready to move on to videos and movies. What do you recommend my first step should be.?

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

If you have the latest version of iTunes, you're all set. Just go to the iTunes store to purchase movies just as you would songs. They are ready to play on your iPod. Only thing is, I don't think you'll find Citizen Kane there. Do you have your heart set on Citizen Kane?

3. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

The thing about iTunes is that they wont let you archive your paid for movie on a DVD.

If I buy a movie on the web I just might want to archive it to a DVD!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can however still save/archive it (along with 2-3 other movies) to a data DVD and play it on your Mac/iPod/AppleTV. You just can't play it in a DVD player.

B

5. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

If I have paid for the movie why limit my viewing of it? doesnt seem very nice.

I dont think internet movie purchases elsewhere limit like that do they?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Worse. Look up the terms for Amazon Unbox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Unbox, you're limited to having the content on two computers (which have to have the Unbox software...) and you can't burn to DVD either.

B

7. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Movies

It's been a while. I went to iTunes to buy a movie and pheew - what a lousy selection. I mean, I don't want to sound like a snob but come on!
    Maybe I am not seeing everything. Is there a better source for movies that can easily be downloaded to iTunes and transferred to my iPod?

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

It's not up to Apple to decide what movies are available, it's all up to the studios. I think that your best bet would be to buy the DVD and rip it to your computer -> iTunes- >i Pod. At least this will tide you over until more studios are on board.