Movies not streaming in Frontrow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBoobsPro, Feb 17, 2007.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I have a weird problem. I have a PMG5 that I store all my movies on in iTunes. I use my MacBook to stream the content from my G5 and play it on my TV. Only problem is I have 2 movies that wont work when streamed.

I have noticed one has 2675 bitrate and the other 967.

The 2675 film plays fine on the G5 (not streamed) and is available in Frontrow on the MB but an error pops up to say the movie cannot be played. My thinking is the BitRate is too high. Would my assumption be right?

Also the 967 movie plays fine on G5 but is not even available in the shared library on MB either directly in iTunes or FrontRow. Not sure why?

Is there an optimum bitrate/settings for iTunes sharing and frontrow?

I will be reripping them with Handbrake so any help with handbrake would be appreciated.

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The first one could be because of the high bit-rate. You can try re-importing the second file into iTunes, if that doesn't work, then you could try retagging the movie file with a program like 'Lostify', assuming it's an MPEG4 file.

The shared movie problem is something I get a fair bit, on video-podcasts and is something I'm hoping future a version of iTunes can address - otherwise :apple: TV streaming, is going to be pretty naff for someone like me.

3. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thanks for the link Danksi. I got the 967 to work after retagging it with Lostify. iTunes doesnt seem to be up to the task.

Im reripping the other one now with an average 2000bitrate. Hopefully it will work.

4. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Problem solved. Reripped at lower bitrate and all is fine. :)

Im planning on ripping my entire movie collection for use with frontrow and :apple: TV when i get it. However I want to store them all on an external drive, how can i get FrontRow to see the movies on the external drive without having to setup a new library on the drive? Is is even possible?

5. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

You may be able to put an Alias for the external drive folder, in to your Movies folder, which is what FrontRow allows you to look at.

6. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Ok that works but i need to manually connect to the G5 first (external is connected to G5), then use FrontRow on the MacBook to navigate.

Bit of a pain. :(