Movies on TV LONGER and Better than Originals?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sdashiki, May 7, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    I dont understand this and I can find absolutely nothing on it.

I was just watching Ace Ventura on TBS.

And, as I have seen before in TV versions of this movie, there are LONGER and Deleted scenes that arent in the original movie. I dont own the DVD so I am not sure if they are included...

for instance, Ace goes to see the Hippie guy more than once (in the movie he does it once "Is that the red or the white". Also, ace then plays with the metal band in the club. also towards the end they included some scenes of Courtney Cox, the black cop guy, and the rich guy with the limp in a skybox during the game...

Another movie:

I own this DVD and KNOW FOR A FACT the following scene is NOT included.

On USA, i was watching Friday.

you know the scene where Craigs dad calls him inside and asks for a glass of water?

If you notice, he goes inside once before that (his sister calls him in for daddy) but you dont see Craig inside, you just see SMokey waiting outside.

On USA, they included the inside scene.

Craig goes inside to see what his dad wants.

"Hand me the TV Guide"

"Hand me the TV guide"

craig sees its 2 inches from him and just tosses it a little.

"I said, HAND me the TV Guide"

he hands it to him in digust.

we then cut back to Craig walking outside, which is in the original.

My question is:

WHY do TV versions (that are supposed to be edited for time) have longer versions than the DVDs? And, why are they privvy to deleted scenes I cant find elsewhere?
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Probably something to do with a directors cut, or special edition version that didn't necessarily see an original theatrical or DVD release, but was chosen for broadcast by the TV company.
  3. Motley macrumors 6502

Dec 11, 2005
    The network needs the movie to fit within a nice block of time, say 2 hours, so while some content is edited out for TV, sometimes it is necessary to add content back in so it fits nicely within the two hour block including commercials. So that's how a 90 minute long movie that's edited for TV can be 2 hours with content not in the theatrical release.
  4. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    So why does:

of all crap networks, get the footage that I cant even find on DVDs?
  5. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Maybe the version hasn't yet been released on DVD.
  6. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Maybe TBS and USA own the rights to those specific extra scenes.
  7. virus1 macrumors 65816

Jun 24, 2004
    also, sometimes they advertise that it is a longer version.
  8. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    I've never watched a movie on T.V. and enjoyed the experience. I can't stand commercials.
  9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003
    I have to agree with this because I too have found the same to be true.
  10. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    I can't stand the editing. Leave all the sex, language and violence in there.
  11. Gnorn macrumors regular

May 7, 2006
    The Tavern, Thornwood
    I HATE commercials. Hate them to death!!

Also, over here in the Netherlands there's a station (SBS) that interupts the movie about half an hour before the ending to show some Mickey Mouse news and biss-news (gossip) programme...

Those commercial stations don't care a bit about the viewers watching the movies, all they care about is the money the get from advertisers.

Then again, those same commercial stations are so f*cking hypocritical when airing Schindler's List... they don't cut it for commercial breaks. Out of respect or something. Like they care...

Sorry, just had to rant...

Oh, did I say I hate commercials?
  12. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    What I love in the hypocrisy of the television stations. We need to interrupt your program for this important news/weather bulletin, however, we shall not screw with the commercials.
  13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    ABC Family has done this with (that I know of) the first two Harry Potter films, basically the original movie with all the deleted scenes spliced into it.

Personally, I would that instead of a shiny 2-disc box set with a bunch of garbage "features" I might look at once if ever, studios would release at least one version of the DVD as the film with the additional scenes in it. I'd even pay a couple extra dollars for it.
  14. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    my problem was this:

the deleted scenes ON tv were NOT on the DVDs I can purchase.

thats odd.