Movies on Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Dec 12, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So anyone got these to work, are they just standard Quicktime mov files ?

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

3. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep :rolleyes: get with the programme sikkinixx ;) :p

But bizzarely you view them in the photo channel ? :confused:

Why they havent put a proper media channel in there to play mp3's and movies easier. Thumbdrive & HardDrive support would be handy too seeing as though there is USB on the back doing nothing.

4. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

5. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks neon blue, I have both visual hub & quicktime pro :)

6. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

so what are the settings in visualhub and/or qt pro please?

7. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

There's an option under AVI in VisualHub, but here are the specs for QuickTime

Video
    - Motion JPEG B
    - 24 FPS (actual number optional)
    - Colour (also optional)
    - Medium Quality (again optional but Medium is still pretty good and it keeps file sizes down)
    - Deinterlaced (optional again but I recommended it)
    - 480p is top quality (848x480 resolution)

Sound
    - Linear PCM
    - Stereo or mono
    - 48.000kHz (optional but I got sound distortion otherwise)
    - Normal quality
    - 8 bit sample size
    - Big Endian
    - Unsigned

8. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Sorry neonblue2, just to clarify - are this settings for encoding QT files from scratch - or converting existing AVIs/DivX/Xvid files to a Wii-playable .mov format? I'm hoping it's the latter...very much!

Also - saw your comments @ gamefaqs on MOV being just a container for various formats, which I realized after trying several (failed) cut-rate conversion methods. What's the best way to tell if a file is Wii-playable/the conversion worked: Get Info, and look for type = ??? Would it say MJPEG rather than the standard MP4, etc.? Thanks.

9. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

The video thing is pretty neat, you are able to do like real-time "editing" to it; change colour, rotate, and other little things. I do hope though that they release a dedicated music and video channel instead of having to go through the photo one.

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep couldnt agree more. Wii (we) need a proper media channel with full mp3 player with visualisation and id3 tag support, as well as a proper movie player that accepts more than just quicktime movies, wrapped in a .avi extension.

Thumb drive support and usb hard drive support is needed too.

11. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

MRU, I'll ask you too, have you tried an AVI/DivX/Xvid to Motion JPEG conversion & gotten it to work on the Wii? I'm very keen to find out. Thanks.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

A few problems with the Wii as a media player

1. If find it ridiculous to have to go in the "Photo channel" to see movies
    2. Not only should there be a "Movie channel", but also a "Music channel" too
    3. The Wii should support external USB drives (Flash or hard drives) for media (photos, movies, music)

But especially:
    4. My Nintendo Play-Yan micro can play CIF (352×288) MPEG-4/AAC .mp4 files but the Wii can't. What's up with that?

And a bit off-topic, but I've seen pictures and screenshots of the upcoming Nintendo MP3 player... It's a Play-Yan micro without the video playback feature! Why did they remove it? :confused:

13. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

After I realised visual hub has the wii setting, i simply dragged 3 different files to test (it can batch process)

A family guy episode in divX avi format.
    a wmv video review of rayman
    a quicktime movie of elebits demo

obviously the avi file took the longest to convert - being the longer of the three movie clips.

The family guy episode was high quality and started out at 150mb. Using the setting high the file ended up at 250mb.

This was similar to the other files - their proportional sizes increased.

I'm sure there's some messing about with setting you can use.

But all 3 files played straight away in the wii no problem.

Yep as I said a wii media channel is required.

14. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Great......! This could be the holy grail of Wii for me. Now that I'm reading the Visual Hub feature set, though, I realize it might cut the middleman out. To wit: got a bunch of AVIs I've downloaded - of shows I'd gladly buy on DVD if only they would be released, grr! - that I'd like to watch on my TV, but couldn't convert to a decent DVD-player-usable format. Thus, the Wii was a work-around.

But if Visual Hub can do MPEG-4 -> MPEG-2 or otherwise make AVIs safe for DVD... MRU or anyone else, how's that part of the package work? (thanks for being a good sport with all these questions!)

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It should be able to do either of these things... Have you tried VisualHub for this and failed? There's a free download trial version. :) Relatedly, have you tried Burn? It's a disc burning utility that makes calls to ffmpegx. You can generally drag and drop a video file into it and burn it onto VCD or DVD (albeit nothing fancy...no menus or anything).

16. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

converting avi to dvd I usually just use toast to be honest.

17. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

VisualHub has that 2-minute limit on trial converts...I was looking for a free (and Wii-specific) solution earlier, as I'd rather plow $20 into a new game instead of "watch stuff on TV that you can already watch on your Mac." But if I don't need to screw around with the Wii, it may be worth it. ...Geez, just saw Burn, looks like a nice piece of freeware. Pays to ask questions in the forums. Thanks.

Also, thanks to MRU for the Wii-specific and on-topic answers. Glad that question is answered.

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

that hurts. you cut me deep.

So you can watch movies and crap on CD's/DVD's but you can't WATCH DVD movies? ****ing backwards ass nintendo

19. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

No, you can watch movies and crap on SD cards, but not on discs. A little better, but yes, still "****ing backwards ass nintendo."

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I found out about Burn here very recently also. I've only used it a little bit so far, but I'm impressed. Making a VCD from an MPEG2 file was extraordinarily easy. Also many of these tools sit on top of ffmpegx anyway, so what you get is what you get.

P.S. I totally understand the not-wanting-to-pay issue.... I have iSquint (which I don't think will particularly help you), but I don't use VisualHub. And I probably should've bought Toast a long time ago but am instead using Burn....

21. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

yeah I know what you mean. Thankfully I bought visualhub €22 a while ago when I was converting small snippets of movies to put them on the web, so I covered it's cost in my charge to the client ;)

I also find it handy if a client sends me a 1 movie format but wants it say in Flash. Saves a lot of effort. Great little programme.

22. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, just remember that it's Nintendo's first time into Movies (unless you count the "Q", MRU ;) ) music and photos. So let's hope that they learn from their mistakes and move forward in a positive manner. I would expect better from Sony and MS, as they have experience on the living room console/media center. I don't expect Nintendo to be perfect (and honestly, movies, music and photos are just an added bonus, not a core feature for me). Plus, all this seems like it would be pretty easy to incorporate (including playback from discs) with a simple firmware update.

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is very fair, especially when one considers the extent to which Nintendo has traditionally adhered to its core market that doesn't care about things like being able to watch movies on their products. Especially remember that they, of all the console manufacturers left, are the most Japanese. And Japan has traditionally been a very tough market for convergence devices.

I dunno... is Nintendo sacrificing something by putting too much effort into these kinds of features? I have mixed feelings. I think that Nintendo's future does not lie in it being like the XBOX360....

But then at least in some places, there's a role conflict. I only want my Nintendo products to play video games on them, for instance... I have multiple other devices already plugged into my TV that can play my movies, be they MP4 files or DVDs. But then, even though I just want to play games, the WEP/WPA issue for the DS has been a major struggling point vis-a-vis me getting a DS Lite.

24. jdechko macrumors 68040

Oh, absolutely. I feel that as long as the Wii functions great as a console, than the other features are just welcome additions. However, if the console sacrifices games (to some extent greater than zero) then the "extras" should be dropped. Kinda like the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none." As long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay, then cool. I think Nintendo is just getting it's foot wet as far as being a convergence device, and it'll continue to get better. I think part of the reason for not including Music and Movies is that Nintendo wants to keep things simple; it broadens the Wii's appeal to the technophobes. Viewing photos (and only off an SD card) is a pretty simple thing that the target market will be able to accomplish. Maybe movies and music just aren't part of that "core" marketing strategy and weren't quite ready yet to ship with the console at launch.

25. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

There's a lot of wisdom in what you all are saying here. I appreciate the extras Nintendo makes available (or will, once they finally release them :p), but mainly want the thing to play games. So far, it does that nicely, and I'm happy.

Given that that is Nintendo's stated purpose, though, it's interesting to consider the shift in mindset that Wii Channels reveals. The console doesn't load up a game automatically; it lists all the features and options, of which console gaming is only one (albeit first). That may seem obvious, but they didn't have to do it that way; imagine going straight into the loaded game, then hitting home to access all the other features. That Nintendo instead went with the channels layout suggests they're doing more than dipping a toe into convergence/multi-purpose, even if Sony/MS are dragging them kicking and screaming into it.