Moving a hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by insomniac321123, Jul 5, 2006.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have an external hard drive that I built myself about 6 months ago. It is usb and you have to plug it into an outlet for it to work. I would like to move it to a new enclosure that is powered through the usb. Two questions though:

1. Will taking it out of the old enclosure and moving it to the new enclosure have any negative effects on the data on the drive?

2. Does anyone have any suggestions for enclosures that are powered through the usb?

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    As long as you don't throw it on the ground, jump on it, hit it with a hammer, it'll be ok. Heck I have a 30GB HDD (now I don't recommend doing this), that I'd just toss on my bed, just all out toss it, whenever I put in a new one. It still works, and works fine. Just handle it properly, be sure you don't have static electricity on you, touch something metal in other words, and use a static bag to hold it while you prepare the case it's going in. Or be sure to put it on a hard surface that is non-static (wood is non-static I think... um.. yeah) anyways. Good luck. as for # 2, good question.