Moving a Large Itunes libary xppro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Mar 27, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello!

I am having much difficulty moving my 40 gig itunes library from my xp machine onto an external hd.

i can't seem to get it to work at all (i get error messages, or simply, nothing happens) when i drag and drop. right now, i did just drag all the songs from the itunes window into the folder i want it to be in, however songs with similar names (such as "track 1") will no be copied!

how do i do large file transfers in xp? why can't i easily?

thanks,
    r.

2. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

have you tried just locating the itunes music folder and then dragging that to your hard drive? always works for me.

Good luck.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

of course. that is the first thing i tried. computer simply acts like nothing had happened.

works for you, transfering a forty or so gig library from an xp machine to an external hd?

r.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Alternatively, go to the Advanced section of iTunes Preferences, make sure Keep iTunes Folder Organised is checked and click Change to select a new location.

I prefer jamescwarren's method though, especially if this is for backup purposes and you don't actually want to run your library from the external drive. :)

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

it worked, i changed my music folder location in itunes's prefs, and then reconsolidated my library. and i do want to use the external as my primary!

so i backed up, but how do i find out about this descrepency?:

old itunes library folder:
    49.2 gb
    12,407 files, 2967 folders

new itunes library:
    45.4 gb
    7900 files, 2914 folders.

thats a big difference!

r.

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Try the trick that mad jew said, consolidate(sp?) on the ext. drive and double check the size on the internal drive vs. ext. drive before you delete the internal one .. :eek: :eek:

7. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

thats what i just did... how do i account for the diff?

r.

8. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

what does it mean, when trying to delete it stops you and says,

"you cannot remove..... because the directory is not empty"

-????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I assume you're not getting this information directly from iTunes, right? I guess the discrepancy could be attributed to the times when you may delete a file from iTunes but not opt to delete it from your drive.

Sorry, I've got no idea about the directory error. I don't know much about Windows. Maybe you have a virus?... :D