moving abroad with an imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acidburn, Dec 10, 2006.

1. acidburn macrumors member

i have a pretty new 17" iMac - intel core duo. i bought it in april and it's great. but, i am planning on doing a lot of traveling and working abroad next year. i will likely spend most of my time somewhere else. i don't want to sell the imac, but i wonder if a laptop would be a better option for me. any thoughts?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

The iMac is what I would call semi-portable. You can get an iLugger which is great, but I would not fly with it at all. If you are driving or going by train it might be a little better. I would go with a Laptop though... As to which one, it depends on what you would be using it for.

3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yeah it sounds like a laptop is best for you. I'm planning some traveling next year and hence the macbook pro purchase. But I guess it depends on how much traveling your doing and what your living/sleeping arrangements will be. I mean if your staying with friends/family in a bunch of different places and you'll be put for a few weeks/months at a time you can probably get by just fine with the iMac. But if your staying in hostels/hotels (as I'm planning) then I think your really gonna need a laptop.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I also think that a MacBook/MacBook Pro would be your best solution acidburn. :)

5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

If you wanna be leet, you gotta perform a righteous hack.

P.S. RISC is gooood.

6. acidburn thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the advice. i was initiallly planning on buying an ilugger and bringing it on the plane - the only other option is to ship it which i don't want to do. i think i will sell it and i am thinking about a laptop or a mini. i don't plan on doing a lot of traveling once i get there - will pretty much stay in one place. i go back and forth on the value of a mini once it is loaded - almost better to just get a macbook then you have the option of portability. i'll have to think about it.
    tuartboy -
    mess with the best and die like the rest (this is my favorite quote from the movie)