Moving advice :)

Discussion in 'Community' started by tonyeck, Feb 17, 2005.

1. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Hi Guys, quick question

I have just been offered an 18 month internship in Washington DC which is amazing news as I have always wanted to train and work in the US within Multimedia!

Now I have my G5 and 23" monitor and there is no chance I am leaving them behind for 18 months! So I wanna ship them over! To be honest thats the only thing that I am having shipped over as no need for other stuff.

Who would you guys recommend me shipping my G5 and monitor from the UK to the US with? I have ZERO idea on this topic :(

Thanks for any insight!

Tony

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

just make sure you pack it in real nice!

original boxes and white-hard-foamthing at hand?

Cheers

3. tonyeck thread starter macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Yeah got all boxes and can get white-hard-foam things :)

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

fedex or ups, with lots of insurance. or take it on the plane?

congrats on the internship. dc is a lot of fun :D

5. tonyeck thread starter macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Haha, I dont think I'll be able to take it on the plane! Maybe under the seat? :p

Thanks, I hear DC is a nice place :) I am actually gonna be in Falls Church if you know the area?

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If I were you I would sell the G5 and ACD, Why you ask?

You live in the UK and shipping the G5 and ACD would not only be expensive and risky, you also have to think about the voltage, since though you can get a voltage switcher, I would not recommend it.

It seems you are a student, ask Apple if they will convert the PSU box for the G5 at best.

Anyhow, All the best in your future endeavors. :)

I would buy a PB or iBook for travel, that is one reason why I don't have a desktop. ;) :)

7. tonyeck thread starter macrumors 6502

tonyeck

I have an iBook too! :p

I always thought apple products were dual voltage?

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

yeah, i know the area... falls church is out a little ways from the actual city though... i try to stay out of the 'burbs if i can help it ;) :D

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Hmm, it may cost you a couple of $100 to ship and insure it properly.

Here's an outside idea: Since Macs seem to be more expensive in the UK, sell yours before you leave. Buy the latest Mac of your dreams in the US, with the edu. discount if possible, checking first into the voltage (V, maya, not W) situation. When you return to the UK, you will probably be able to import it duty-free as personal posessions (check with your customs regulations, but there is usually an amount of stuff you can import fo free when returning after an extended absence).

10. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

interesting idea...

will the company you're working for help pay for the move?

11. tonyeck thread starter macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Hmmmn. I have the mac of my dreams at the moment! I am willing to pay alot for shipping too

However, I appreciate your comments and I will check into customs etc to see if I am able to bring back 3 grands worth of Mac stuff lol

Also I am not liable for edu discount in the US, checked already when I was there for 3 months last year :(

12. tonyeck thread starter macrumors 6502

tonyeck

I doubt it, not for an Intern! Would be cool though!

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

My brain as of late has become fudge. :eek: :( , nah its just the stress that I am also moving in a week. ;) :p :)

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    congratulations on the internship

you can take the tower with u on the plane...but it takes tons of luggage space and would hate to risk it being lost in baggage. if u ship it over it might be costly though but safer

15. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Congrats on the opportunity!

I would find a way to avoid having to ship it. At least find a way to rent or borrow a monitor, although an LCD is much less of a worry than a CRT.

If you must and you don't have the original packaging, check with the company you plan to ship with to determine their guidelines. This is important because they might not pay a claim if you don't pack them properly.

Here are some guidelines. (DISCLAIMER: I cannot be held responsible for any damage caused by my well-intentioned advice. :))

1. Tape a piece of cardboard roughly the same size as the screen over the screen.
    2. Put the CPU and monitor in static-free bags. NOT a trash bag.
    3. Wrap separately with the large diameter bubble wrap.
    4. Measure the length, width, and height of the bubble wrapped items and add 2" to the measurements.
    5. Find 2 cardboard shipping boxes that will allow you to place the CPU and monitor inside with at least a 2" of clearance on all six sides. The remainder of the space will be filled with foam peanuts.
    6. Overfill the box slightly (with peanuts) so it packs tightly. (Hey that rhymed).
    7. Put a piece of paper with your name, address, and telephone number inside the box before you seal it. This will help if the shipping label happens to come off in transit. Use waterproof 2" tape to seal all the seams.

Here in the US, shipping boxes have a burst rating in pounds per sq. in. I would use at least a 100 lb box packed tightly. A double-wall box is even better. Basically, don't skimp when you're packaging electronics. Even if I was taking them on the plane, I would pack them the same way.

I would be leery of re-shipping the goodies in the original packaging. First, you're advertising to the world that the contents are expensive computer products and second, some of that stuff is engineered for a one time use. You can sometimes tear open the glue seam and turn the box inside-out. Use a both a hot melt glue gun and tape to reseal it.

If the package arrives damaged, save everything. You'll need the "evidence" to help you file a claim.

Scared yet? Like I said, find a way not to have to ship them.

16. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    if your g5 gets damaged/stolen in transit, be prepared for a protracted battle over value, fault etc. you might be without a computer for much of your stay. i tend to think of the worst case scenario when it comes to travelling with tech gear.

personally, i'd sell the g5 and transfer everything of value to a firewire drive and take that to dc...then lease/rent or buy a g5. if you can't bring it back without being taxed, i'd sell it in dc and buy a new one when you get home.

i've travelled extensively with all sorts of gear in the best ATA cases made and believe me, there isn't a case made that can't be destroyed by the airlines. if you can't carry it on, it's not worth the risk.

17. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

uhhh, mine did. Seriously, ask them, you might be missing out on up to 5000 bucks.

BEN

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It probably goes without saying, but I'd have backups of anything important and ship/carry them separately. Hopefully, your system will arrive in perfect condition. If anything happens, though, it'd be even worse if you lost your data as well.

And, speaking of that, you might want to at least temporarily create an encrypted folder and save anything vaguely personal in there (deleting it elsewhere) before shipping. Or, even better, you might want to remove the hard disk and bring it with you. It's all of a minute's work to remove from a G5, and ensures no one can steal your data along with your system. And, of course, still make backups and store them separately.