Moving an Airport Express without resetting

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dav, Jun 15, 2006.

1. dav macrumors 6502

I currently have my Airport Express set up to be a client on my network at home and I use it solely for the purpose of AirTunes. My network at home is run from a WRT-54G and is entitled "Network".

Situation: I take my AE to another location and try to have it join a different network. Unfortunately, it will just flash amber because it cannot find my home network (mind you, I am far from home) and I cannot change profiles or do anything without resetting it because I can't log in to the network that it would normally connect to.

Is there any way to get into the settings of the AE this way? Can I plug an ethernet cable into my computer and into the AE to change settings? I just want to switch profiles.

Also, is there a way to make a profile that is just used for AirTunes? I like to travel around with my AE and HiFi and resetting it is very annoying. I just want a profile with no internet connectivity, but the ability for me to connect to it and stream music.

Thanks

dav

2. dav thread starter macrumors 6502

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

If you are joining wireless network just change the profile before you pack up and leave to right one. Wired, you can just make a profile and assign yourself a static ip address assuming everything is on the same sub-net you can just use it. although, if you knew what a subnet was you'd probably know the answer to the problem.