Moving Applications from one Mac to another

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by domzanghi, Jun 6, 2006.

1. domzanghi macrumors member

I need to move HP Scanjet software (an older version) that's on my old iMac to my new G5. I would much rather download it from HP's site, but they don't offer a Mac download (just a $25 CD) for the driver/software.
    Is it possible to do this? Would moving just the Application file work, or there other files in the Library that I'd have to move?
    Thanks!
    PS-HP's customer service is absolutely awful.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've never had an HP printer on a Mac but I imagine it'll have put bits of itself all over the place, as many printer apps do. Still, it's worth a try. Most apps should be fine if you just drag them to your new Applications folder.

If that doesn't work, then maybe try using Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder. Of course, you'll need to either have the two Macs networked or connected by Target Disk Mode. :)

3. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

what model ScanJet is it? (there are other places to get HP drivers from than HP...)

a couple here frinstance (100MB a shot, go HP!)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What happened to the CD that shipped with your scanner?

5. domzanghi thread starter macrumors member

My scanner is the ScanJet 5300c (6 years old or so). I tried two different drivers (i believe they're both listed on your post), but neither would recognize the scanner (when the scanner was connected & powered).
    Thanks for the suggestions... please feel free to add more. I'll let you know how transferring the application attempt goes.

6. domzanghi thread starter macrumors member

It was OS9... and I actually ordered this OS X CD 4 years ago when I upgraded to OSX, but I've since lost it. I'd rather buy a new scanner before I give HP any more money.

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

The linked files above are for version 8.4 which might work in Tiger - although not according to the feedback on Versiontracker - according to HPs compatibility chart, but not in Panther, for which you need 3.2.1, but which doesn't seem to be available from the usual suspects. Sorry!

Do a Find (apple-F, not spotlight - it won't check the system folders) for scanjet or HP on your mac and see how many files/folders you can discover to copy across.

If all else fails you could try an image manipulation app like Photoshop that has a generic TWAIN import plugin that might see the scanner..