moving applications...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuchichan2524, Mar 22, 2006.

1. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

I just upgraded to a MacBook Pro and I have some applications on my older machines that are running OS 8.6 and 9.1 that I'd like to copy over to my new laptop. I'm having some trouble doing this and I'm not sure if I'm doing it properly.

From what I understand I should just copy over the folder from the application folder on the old computer to the new one. However, when I do that, on the new laptop I don't see an executable file When I try to launch it I get a prompt of what application I'd like to open it.

Right now I'm trying to copy over Adobe Photoshop 6.0.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i don't think there is a way to run applications for OS 8 or OS 9 under OS 10.4.

in OS 10.3 there was the so called "Classic Enviroment" that allowed you to run those old apps. but in OS 10.4 (called Tiger) these old applications are not supported anymore.

My guess is you are out of luck.

3. chuchichan2524 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think these applications are specifically written for OS 8 and 9 though. Shouldn't Photoshop 6.0 be able to run on both 9.1 and OS X?

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

No, you'll need to have a specific OSX compatible app, afaik.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i don't know about Photoshop 6.0. Try to install from the original disks. If it says OS X or OS 10 on the disks you may be lucky.

but even if the Apps were written for OS 8/9 AND OS 10 you would need to install them from the original disks. Moving them from an old system (OS 8/9) to the new system (OS 10 and up) will not work. OS 10 is a completely new and different operating system compared to OS 8/9.

6. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Classic is still available in Tiger, but only on PPC Macs. Support for Classic has been stopped on Intel Macs only at the moment.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Classic is available for Tiger (10.4). The pref pane is hidden until you start a classic application for the first time. If it's not present on your system you can install it from your software restore disks that came with your Mac.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In order to run MacOS 8.x and MacOS 9.x applications on MacOS X, you need Classic. However, Classic is exclusive to PPC-based Macs. Classic is not included with Intel-based Macs such as your MacBook Pro.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

wasn't Photoshop 7 was the first version of Photoshop to run under OSX??