Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thermodynamic

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2009
USA
Hi again!

I made an attempt to use Winclone to move Win7 (NTFS, 64-bit) to a new hard drive.

After the image was deployed I rebooted.

On the new drive,Win7 BSODs - I can't even boot into command line mode as it summarily reboots.

The original bootcamp partition boots perfectly, however.

I know Winclone was discontinued - assuming other people have used it with Win7 and have not had problems, without having to use Win7's DVD to do a repair install or to - for the moment - delete the original bootcamp partition that I know works, are there any means to fix the boot sector or alleviate this problem? (I think the BCD wants to point to the wrong partition, despite it starting to boot on its own...)

Thanks much!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There was an article on twocanoes that said for W7/SL you have tonturn off compression and use DMG. Did you do that?

B

thermodynamic

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2009
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

There was an article on twocanoes that said for W7/SL you have tonturn off compression and use DMG. Did you do that?

B

Fortunately I never enabled compression, and I did download the prerequisite NTFS utility winclone wanted. But I never read any official article (twocanoes' website being down :( ). I don't recall any DMG options in winclone either... :(

EDIT1: I found winclone preferences: I disabled Compression and DMG was already selected. I am now making a new backup - thanks!

Should I keep the generic BCD option checked?

Thanks much!

thermodynamic

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2009
USA
Ugh.

With the new configuration, winclone errors when trying to restore.

Since winclone has gone under, I did some research as I'd be content going through the extra hoops of setting up Windows 7 and using its own built-in backup image tool. People have said it won't work properly in bootcamp either.

Maybe Acronis 11 with Plus Pack is my only hope, but I hope I can get a refund from the makers of Drive Genius 3. I really didn't need it for anything else except repartitioning and that didn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.