Moving Clickwheel on 5G: normal?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TobyM, Nov 8, 2005.

1. TobyM macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    the clickwheel of my replacement ipod 5g is moving a little.
    i dont have to press it in any special way, it moves when you just scroll with the clickwheel.

thats quite annoying...when you change the direction your are scolling, you can feel the clickwheel moving a little in the same direction.

theres not much space it is moving in, but it moves quite easily... just by changing the scroll direction.

should i send it in once again?
    are your clickwheels moving, too?
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Moving as in spinning around a little, as though it feels like it wants to scroll too? That's not normal, I'd definitely get that seen to.
  3. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    yes, just a little.
    it can be moved up and to the right, without much effort or pressure.
    just as there´s some little space it doesnt fill in completely.

and you feel it when you change the direction when you scroll above the right side of the clickwheel.

so, not normal, i guess?
  4. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    are here some more 5g-owners?

please do me that favor. just try it on your clickwheel, if it moves just a little.
  5. technocoy macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

does it too... thought it was just normal build quality since i hadn't used one since my 3g... seems rather shoddy, but i didn't think of it as a defect, so if others are saying there is no give in theirs, i may just run mine by the store as well....
  6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    Its difficult to judge what "little movement" really is just by reading, there is a slight shift but I don't exactly consider it moving. When I read the post, I assumed it was actually rotating which would not be normal at all...a slight shift in movement is normal however.
  7. technocoy macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2002
    Raleigh, NC

thats whats happening... it's not a rotation so much as it is that you feel it give when you go back and forth on the wheel. thing is my nano doen't do it at all...

but it's not more than a fraction of an inch of give.
  8. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

Nov 19, 2003
    My mini does that a bit, but it doesn't really bother me. If it's a noticable annoyance I'll bet Apple will replace it since they seem to be rather lenient about replacements with these things.
  9. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    it just feels a little cheap.
    and i dont want anything to feel cheap on a new 400$-ipod.

whenever i change the scrolling direction on the right side of the clickwheel, it moves a little in the same direction, without having to put any pressure on the wheel.

i called apple, they will send another replacement. i really hope the new ipod doesnt have this "feature"...
  10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mine doesn't move at all. Good to see you're getting a replacement, better safe than sorry-
  11. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    i just hope that this isnt a problem many 5g´s have.
    i dont want to wait for another 10 days for a replacement which has the same problem.

but it looks like there arent too many 5g-owners who got problems with their clickwheels.
  12. cello in BC macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    I believe this has to do with the new click wheels being made by Apple and not the old provider.

My Nano's button has a bit of play in it ... most nanos do from my understanding. I bet most of the 5G's are the same way ... I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  13. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    i wouldnt care about the center button being slightly 4g and my ipod photo also had that, and i didnt care.

but its the wheel itself thats moving when you scroll, and thats really annoying...
  14. kellte2 macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I have the same issue Toby and I've heard from many other forums as well as first hand messing around at an apple store that this issueis normal. It has to do with the wheel not fitting perfectly in the casing (everyone has a slight gap alongside the clickwheel) and it moves because of this. Its annoying, but like with everything. It will probably stop annoying me the more I use it and the less I think about it. Let me know if your new one is the same though.
  15. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    well, i got a lot of replies, also in other forums/boards which stated that their clickwheel isnt moving at all. many reported about a little gap between clickwheel and ipod itself, but just a few had a clickwheel that was moving a little.

my replacement ipod will arrive tomorrow or on wednesday, i really hope it hasnt the same problem.
  16. JW008 macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    Same problem?

I think I've been having the same problem, there's nothing wrong with it per se, but it does feel like it will break. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about--- please tell me if it's the same problem others so I can take mine back as well.

Attached Files:

• ipod.jpg
      File size:
      161.6 KB
  17. kellte2 macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I also think this is somethig that not that many people notice outside of very detail oriented people. Not all people focus on the gap next to the click wheel (I noticed it and noticed the moving). Some probably notice it and don't care also. We'll see if your replacement is more solid, in which case I'll maybe look into having mine replaced, but I really do think its a matter of design.
  18. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    well, i cant really see a gap on my ipod, but i guess gaps are harder to see on black ipods.

gaps wouldnt annoy me, but moving clickwheels do...
  19. TobyM thread starter macrumors member

Aug 16, 2005
    well, i finally got my second replacement.
    this time, the clickwheel is very tight in the ipod, there´s absolutely no gap.
    at first, i tried to move it, but couldnt move it at all.

but yesterday i experienced that it can be moved (but even tinier than the last one), if you try it at a certain point of the wheel...even though it doesnt have any space to move at all, cause theres absolutely no gap this time.

i guess it´s really like that because apple is manufacturing their own clickwheels this time.
    even a "perfect" clickwheel without any gap can be moved for a tenth of a millimetre, even if it´s just at one point of the clickwheel.
    but it doesnt move when im scrolling, or at least i cant notice anything.
  20. hybrid.09 macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2005
    My iPod had that too, it has a little gap between the scroll wheel and the housing, it has a small gap, but I never noticed that it was moving around. Replacing it is dumb, especially that all of them are made that way.
  21. MacTruck macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    I find that my 5g 50gb video click wheel is way more sensitive than my 4g. Makes it hard to scroll to find songs in the car. It does not move though but does have the gap.
  22. kellte2 macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    how stringent was Apple about returns? I just sent mine in (stuck pixels on a black screen and this moving click wheel business) and I really really don't want to get the same ipod back which seems like a monumental waste of time. I confirmed the defect through applecare...any idea what my chances for a replacement will be?