Moving files between linux desktop and iBook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by roberts, Jul 26, 2005.

1. roberts macrumors newbie

Hi. Can someone help me figure out how to transfer files from my desktop computer (Generic PC running Ubuntu 5) to my laptop (iBook G4 Panther). I tried hooking them up with an ethernet cable hoping one would auto-detect the other but nothing happened. Any suggestions? I'm fairly competent with computers but not with networking ;)

2. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

It's not as easy as just plugging in an ethernet cable.. first of all, you'd need a crossed network cable, unless you are using a router. Second, you'd have to assign a network address to both computers (e.g. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2), unless you have a DHCP server running on your Ubuntu installation. Finally, you'd have to use either SAMBA or ftp to transfer the files, which means that you'll have to configure samba or run an ftp server on one of your computers.

If you only need to do this once, it's probably easier for you to burn a CD or use an USB stick.

3. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've got about 10 gigabytes of stuff that I want transferred so a CD-R or USB flash wouldn't be very practical. I'll have a look at Samba then. Thanks for the tips :)

4. cube macrumors G4

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Apple computers have auto-sensing NICs. Crossovers are optional. (Alternatively, Crossovers cables will a router.)

6. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

I've managed to get an FTP server set up on my Linux desktop but I have absolutely no idea how to get my mac to access it. How do I know what IP the FTP server has given itself? I tried 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.5 with no luck.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

The command ifconfig will give you the ip address of the computer you are on.

8. cube macrumors G4

ifconfig -a

netstat -ni

9. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

Ifconfig tells me that my PCs IP is 192.168.1.4. When I try to ping this, or start an FTP session to it, it just times out after a few minutes

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

11. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

There might be a software firewall on the Ubuntu machine but not a hardware one, no.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Well, your going to have to turn that off.

Why didn't you turn on the ftp server on the Mac? It's so easy and should even turn off the Mac's firewall.

13. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek: I didn't even know my mac had an FTP server. I'm brand new this macintosh business, you see. If I'd known that I wouldn't have gone fiddling around with linux. I'll go investigate this.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

System Preferences -->
    Sharing -->
    Services (its a tab) -->
    check the box next to 'FTP Access'

Firewall (another tab) -->
    check box next to 'FTP Access'

FTP into your box with any username and password of any user.

15. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Your iBook has to have an address in the same subnet, e.g., if the address of your Linux box is 192.168.1.4/24 then your iBook should have something starting with 192.168.1, too (24 denotes a network mask of 255.255.255.). Try pinging your iBook from your Linux box, too.

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

FTP is a internet standard, not a LAN technology. Why do you say they need the same subnet? I know there is not router involved, but will that really make a difference?

17. roberts thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't seem to be getting anywhere with FTP. When I try to ftp into my iBook from my desktop, I get a "No route to host" error. There must be an easier way to transfer files, surely...?