Moving files/mail, etc. between multiple user accts.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by semonalmoritz, Oct 9, 2005.

1. semonalmoritz macrumors newbie

Moving files/mail, etc. between multiple user accts.

How do I most easily, efficiently, effectively move files/mail and other stuff between the mulitple users I have on my computer? Please let me know what my options are.

I have tried using the Shared Folder under HD/Users/Shared but dragging and dropping stuff there, but when I open the Shared folder in the new user the folders have red minuses across them and I'm told I don't have sufficient access to open them.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Semonalmoritz

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

The minus means that the person doesn't have the permissions to access the folder. To allow others to go into a folder, after you put something in the shared folder, Right click (Ctrl + click) the Folder, and choose Get Info from the drop down list. Then, under Owndership and Permissions at the bottom of the new window, change it so Others is Read & Write, then Apply to enclosed. Then log out of the one user, go into the other, and see if the minus is still on the folder.

This is a security feature, that one user can't access another users info no matter where it is located on the system. So, you need to change the permissions to the new folders you make in the Shared folder you already have after adding them in there, since the permissions of the user that put it in the Shared folder are put on the folder and files.

3. semonalmoritz thread starter macrumors newbie

Varmit, Thank you very much!

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. I haven't tried it yet because I wanted to be sure to thank you before I forget.

Semonalmoritz