Moving Files to Older Macs

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Christine1234, Mar 25, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I'm trying to transfer files written on a PowerMac G5 using Word for Mac 2004 on to a PowerPC 7600/132 running OS 8.1 that has alias Word for Mac 1998. From there I would like to transfer the files to a Macintosh SE running System 6.0.8 using a floppy. Actually, I want the files on both machines, the 7600/132 and the SE.

Here's the fun I've had so far: The Powermac g5 would not burn CD's, even though it should and I tried several different CD-R's and CD-R/W's, so I e-mailed the files to myself. Then I used an eMac to burn those files to a CD by saving the files to my desktop and transferring them to the CD burner.

When I insert the CD with the files into the 7600/132, it recognizes that the files are there but will not read them. I tried every option it gave me for opening the files, including repairing them and saving them. It will not permit me to drag and drop, either.

Any ideas?

2. MacTech68, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012

macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Not sure what is going on with the G5.

As for the 7600, bear in mind that on pre MacOS X systems, the "Desktop" is actually an invisible folder on EACH mounted disc. These are combined into the area you see as the "Desktop".

This means that when you attempt to drag files or folders from a CD onto the desktop, you're asking the finder to move the file from the CD to an invisible folder ON THE CD. Since the CD is read only, it can't.

Instead, try dragging the file to the 7600's hard drive to copy it to there.

Also, unless you've saved the Word Doc in a Word 1998 format, Word from Office 98 probably won't be able to open it correctly. Also, there probably isn't much that will open Word 98 docs on the SE. You'd probably need Word 5.x or 6.x.x for the SE.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

I tried dragging them to the hard drive from the R/W CD, but like you mentioned, the 7600 was unable to open them correctly, since it's written in Word 2004 format, and not 1998. I'll try it again, this time saving them as text only documents. If all else fails, I retype about 20 pages.

Thank you for the help.

4. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

Is there any reason you haven't just transferred the files from the G5 to the 7600 using an AppleTalk network? Pretty simple since both have Ethernet.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

A pretty good reason, actually...I didn't know it could be done! Thanks! :)

6. macrumors 68000

Hrududu

Haha, ya thats really the best way. Thats how I move most files from newer Macs to older systems like my PowerBook G3 which doesn't have USB ports.

7. macrumors regular

Why don't you transfer all the files via ethernet? I successfully backup an entire 200MB HD from a Mac Quadra 700 to a Mac mini G4.

Here is the video :

http://youtu.be/CHCzykwpzZ0

8. thread starter macrumors regular

That would probably work, too. I need to get back to work on trying to transfer those files. Thanks.