Moving from OS9 to OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Max72118, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Max72118 macrumors newbie

I am finally migrating from OS9 to OSX (there is a new 17" iMac arriving today by FedEx).

Any tips for migrating my files to the new machine? Should I partition the new disk and, if so, along what lines?

I appreciate any suggestions.

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Well, as far as partitioning goes, some will tell you that it is indeispensible, and others will tell you not to bother. I have run both ways, and the only real benefit I see for the average user, is that if the OS on one partition gets corrupted, then you can safely boot from the OS on the other partition.

Some video and audio pros use multiple partitions to save to for various reasons ranging from safety of the files to being able to defrag easily.

I say that if you are just going to use the machine for everyday things, just leave it all on one.

As far as migrating files, it depends on the old machine. If it is a Mac, does it have Firewire (the old one)? If so, just connect the computers through a Firewire Target Disk and transfer them that way. If no Firewire, you can connect with a crossover cable through the Ethernet ports, or if you have a CD-R on the old machine, you can just burn a bunch of CDs and then put them on the new one.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Gus

EDIT: Here's a link on how to use Firewire Target Disk Mode
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article....howSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|164608574

3. Max72118 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Gus. That did help. After an inventory of my old iMac, there is not much I really want to move so I may just use a zip disk. Thanks for the partitioning advice.

4. .a macrumors regular

have fun with osX - i turned to osX one year ago and never wanted to go back!

for file-exchange i also recommend the firewire targed disk mode (start up your old mac and press t until a big yellow firewire-logo apears on a blue background) - connected by firewire with your new mac, osX sees your old mac as an hd. very fast data-exchange! the rest is drag and drop :)

enjoy
    .a