moving, help!

Discussion in 'Community' started by nizz, Aug 16, 2004.

1. nizz macrumors regular

I have 2 weeks left to figure out how to move my stuff from Philly, PA to state college, PA. It's about 200 miles away.

I have 4 roommates, we all live in the same area. The apartment we got this year is unfurnished, so all the furniture we must bring ourselves.

Does anyone know of any cheap methods for moving? We will need something big enough to transport beds, sofa, tv, computers, tables/desks, etc.
    The first idea that came to everyone was trying uhaul, but they are very expensive.

Another idea was renting a van and making multiple trips. But from what I understand, they will only rent one to you if you're 25+, and the driver must be 25+ , we are all 19 - 22.

please help, we dont want to starve for the next 4 months from paying too much for moving :)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    update : thanks for the input all, i've found that Budget is a LOT cheaper then uhaul. Including a 10% discount (just by mentioning monstermoving.com), The total for a 15ft. truck will cost less then $300
    Uhaul offers a 13 or 14ft. truck for a little under $500.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Is U-Haul really unaffordable when split five ways? That's really the ideal.

You could even look for somebody else making the same move, just in case, and offer to share a U-Haul with them or give them a ride for a few bucks.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's sometimes cheaper to just take what you can in a car and buy new furniture locally. I have a friend to U-Hauled to L.A. (I'm about 70 miles outside of Philly myself) and it probably cost him more than it would have to just buy new furniture in California.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ikea it, or if u can find a local apple store get all their boxes, there was a guy somewhere who made all his furniture from imac and powermac cardboard boxes:)

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sometimes it is easier to purchase furniture locally. You should check out Cort, especially if they have one in the area. They rent furniture to business and then at the end, they sell the furniture. It's like new.

http://www.cort1.com/resident/resident.htm

6. cubist macrumors 68020

I think pods.com is pretty neat, you can go to their site and get an estimate. They drop off this big metal box, you load it up, tell them when it's ready, they move it, you unpack it, you tell them when it's empty, they pick it up.

Any moving *service* is going to be expensive. Renting a truck shouldn't be. You're only talking about 5 hours each way.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

u-haul and some good friends

its the easiest thing to do and most likely the cheapest for all of you.

The last move I made was paid for, so we had everything moved for us. I don't think I'll ever move myself again...we had over 500 pieces....bleh! Its been a month and I'm still unpacking boxes...

But I know if I had done it myself I'd be even worse off.

good luck,

D

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

10. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i rented several moving vans/trucks before i was 25 -- your 19 year-old might not be able to, but your 22 year-old should have no problem. it's car rental places that don't like drivers under 25. make sure you shop around, as rental rates between companies can vary dramatically. i've moved myself 5 or 6 times and never once went with UHaul; try Ryder, Penske, or even Budget. and sometimes you can get a better deal by looking a little outside your immediate urban area. try getting quotes from places that are outside philly proper. i know in NYC, you can save a bundle by going to jersey for rentals.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Trailers are much cheaper than trucks to rent - if you have something to tow them with.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

man, all this talk plus from my friends makes me glad i am going to my hometown college. plus i'll be at home my first year, no moving for me, that will be next year.

iJon

13. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

WE ARE PENN STATE

Hey where are you staying at? Im staying at University terrace.

Do you know someone that owns an SUV/truck? best way is to ask someone for a lift like your parents or relatives

14. nizz thread starter macrumors regular

hi neighbor :)
    i forgot which room im in, but its one of the non-patio rooms

15. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I am in room t219. I am going to be living with a chick all i have to say it will be interesting :p. I am going to be in a one bed with one den.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whoa, Mac nerds unite! :p

How much does a UHaul cost? A UHaul one of those small trailers with 2 wheels that can be hauled by your car like a trailer, right? Seems much less convenient than a van, and I can't see the benefit.

Do what I did: Rent one of those plain white vans with no windows (aka: a kidnapper van) and make a few trips. If you can't actually rent one, then ask your parents to rent it for you. Why not just get the old folks involved? They're good at unloading and unpacking boxes. Plus they may pay for lunch and such when you get there. ;)

17. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Problem with having somebody else rent it is that you have to let them drive it too. It's not a good idea to **** around with insurance. I moved into my house (at school, about 500 miles from my "home") with one uhaul truck. We fit enough crap for a house (not a small on campus apt) in the second size uhaul with no problem. Split between 4 people it didn't really cost too much. It's college....the reason why you have no money is because you have to pay for necessities...like moving.

BEN

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

trying renting from your new college town. They are familar with renting to students, they also know you're broke and might rent cheaper than the big city, and when your done you don't drive back to philly. On the way to state college, you and friends bring loads, you may find you only need to rent a towed trailer, not a truck.

19. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The last time I moved, I used a big car and moved over 99% of my junk myself, packing, making endless trips back and forth, and unpacking. It took weeks. I was too cheap/poor to pay movers for all that. Then I hired a moving company for the things I couldn't move myself - the large pieces of furniture. So they had barely any work to do, and I figured it would cost the minimum possible. Little did I suspect (or read in the fine print) that the moving company charged from the time the drivers left their depot until they got back, so I payed for extra hours I hadn't expected. Still, I saved a bundle, got some good exercise, and none of my stuff was broken.

20. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

since it's only 200 miles, can you just take a few trips?

i'm moving to seattle from michigan. and for that long of a distance, it made sense for me to sell everything i own and purchase them new. for the cost to move my stuff, i can buy all of them new.

but for a move that's only 200 miles, a few trips with an oversized SUV or trucks make sense... also, you realy should think about moving anything. it doesn't make sense to pay $300 to move $300 worth of stuff...

21. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

just a quick question for those going to university park

on the first day of class (which is a tuesday....) are we on a friday schedule or a tuesday schedule? I am asking since my sister is going to the local campus here and they are going on a friday schedule. If your brain is hurting mine was too.

22. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I tought you had to be 25 to rent any automobile or truck because of the insurance liablilities?

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That's my understanding too.

24. nizz thread starter macrumors regular

its a friday schedule... there's a detailed explanation on elion somewhere.

and you do have to be 25 for car rental services, trucking companies are 18+.... i just found that out recently too

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've been burned by that as well. Odd how it takes them so freakin' long to get from the depot to your residence and back, isn't it? :rolleyes: