moving iBook causes hard-freeze

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tkermit, Feb 20, 2004.

1. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Hi, I've been reading the forums for a while now and really think it's a great community. I've already solved lots of problems just by browsing through the posts. I'm actually very new to the "Macintosh-world" and have only had a Mac (iBook G4 ) for about 2 months. Although I absolutely enjoy this little machine and have been very happy with os x and the book itself, I am having a very aggravating problem now.

Basically, what happens is when you move the iBook it causes the computer to freeze. I'm not shaking it around like crazy, either. It often happens, when I pick the iBook up from the desk to put it on my lap (or vice versa). I really don't think it's normal for an iBook to be that "sensitive", is it ? I am VERY sure that this definitely doesn't have anything to do with my software configuration, I've already reformatted / reset NPRAM / reset MPU and reinstalled OS X (many times). The problem doesn't go away. Also, it's definitely the moving that causes the problem. When the book is resting firmly on a desk, the system's rock-stable. I could sometimes, but not always trigger the reaction by slightly picking up one edge of the iBook (like 2cm) and then let it drop again. I've already put the original memory module back in (right after I bought it I put a 512mb module in there), therefore I have also reseated the airport card already. I can't believe this should be normal behaviour for an iBook ?! I really don't know what else to do (basically I'm ready to call Apple, after all it's only 2 months old, they would do something about it, right ?)
    If any of you guys know of a solution (or had this problem happen to you), I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot ,

Christian

2. mhar4 macrumors member

No, something's up with it. A loose connection somewhere maybe? I can really throw my iBook around and it doesn't seem to mind at all. If it is only 2 months old, call Apple and have them service it.

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

i dunno about that, but my iBook right now is starting to progress into what i know will be the logic board of death (at the extreme) or just a loose display connector (hopefully.) and its having the same problems as yours, except it doesnt freeze, it goes to sleep or something.
    it will be a good idea to call AppleCare :)

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my brother's 12" pb had a similar problem. i forget if he got it fixed..

applecare it up while you can

5. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

well, actually the reason that I am unsure about calling Apple is the fact that on some days the laptop works just fine while on other days it already freezes when I change its position on my lap. So I'm worried about them not being able to reproduce the problem. Do they have a standard procedure of checking the internals based on the problem description of the customer ? Thank y'all for your responses (keep 'em coming ;-) )

6. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

My 12 inch powerbook did this and it was the airport card. It would come loose. Apple replaced the card and all was well, but try reseating the card. Make sure its in there really really well.

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Send it in anway. If there is something wrong with the computer, they will figure it out whether they can or can't reproduce the problem at the exact moment.

8. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

okay, thanks. I think I'm gonna go ahead and send it in. One more question though: does it matter that I switched the memory module myself (as I said I have now switched it back) ? That doesn't void the warranty, right ?

9. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

also: Has anyone on here come in contact with Apple's German customer service ? Any experiences ? thx

10. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

Well, it happened again about 1min. ago. I had iTunes running and picked it up in a swift motion with one hand first, then grabbed the other side of the laptop with my right hand. Just to be sure: I realize that when iTunes is running it probably has to grab data from the harddisk from time to time, but this is not the expected behaviour, is it ? I just do not want the Apple guys to tell me that you are not supposed to move the laptop while it is running anyway. So this is NOT normal, right ?

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure that the memory module counts as a user-installable part (you can check in the manual--it'll tell you), but if it doesn't, you can always just put it back in the factory configuration and they'll never know.

And no, that's definitely not normal behavior--laptop hard drives are quite rugged, and the worst that should happen is a pause if the hard drive put itself to sleep for a bit to cope with the shock (I don't know if they even do that). And if the hard drive head was crashing, the damage would be permanant and immediately noticable.

The guy on the phoone when you call should be able to tell it's not normal, and I expect at worst, even if they can't find a problem, since it's under warranty you still won't be out anything.

Like others said, it sounds exactly like something either poorly seated (which you already checked) or another bad connection, though.

12. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Yes, memory as well as the airport card and keyboard are user instalable parts so they won't void your warranty.

13. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

hi, I just thought it would be a good idea to check back and tell anyone experiencing the same symptoms, that I sent the laptop in to Apple (after a quick telephone call - no problem at all) and got it back a few weeks ago.
    It hasn't frozen ONCE since then. They replaced the harddisk, parts of the chassis and some other internals (must have been kind of a major problem).

Now I'm a happy ibookG4 user again :)
    greetings,

christian

14. ZaniCWB macrumors member

ZaniCWB

Enjoy Stability

That's great news to you. My iBook G4 is rock-solid as well.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My iBook G4 was sitting in the passenger seat of my car in sleep mode in its laptop bag (Crumpler's McBains Lovechild). I slowed down a wee bit too fast and it flew forward and landed where ones feet go in the car. Still works fine and had no problems when I woke it from sleep. Yay iBook!

16. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Myt 17" PB did exactly the same thing when I first had it, it would run perfectly on a desk or unmoved on my lap, and I could move it by very carefully picking it up by both edges, but if I moved it one handed, even just a small lift it would freeze.

I threw it at Applecare, and it came back 5 days later. Now I play frisbee with it on regular occasions and it's rock solid, I've screwed some trucks to the bottom and use it for a skateboard...

OK, those last two were lies, but it hasn't frozen since. Send it in.

17. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

I already have :) (as i wrote a few posts above) , but I'm kinda glad I wasn't the only one with that kind of problem ;)

greetings

18. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    yup

Use the Apple Hardware test CD-ROM that came with the iBook. Run both tests. The standard or w/e test didnt detect my bad HD in my PB when it out but but the advanced test did. I then called apple and they replaced it for free. Very wonderul support, altho the hold music could use some work.....:D

19. tkermit thread starter macrumors 68030

tkermit

Thank you for all of the wonderful, supportive replies, I really appreciate it :) . Nevertheless, I've already solved the problem by sending the laptop in and getting it repaired... :D (as I said somewhere up there :p ) .
    The reason for "reactivating" this thread is that I just wanted to check back, to tell anyone experiencing the same symptoms, what I did about it...

greetings :)

btw: when I had this problem I first tried to solve it by extensive research / browsing through the forums (/searching). I actually found something over at the Apple support forums, but the thread was just discontinued at some point and it was like 3 months old, so I was kinda like "well, so what did you DO about it ???" . So I really think completing / finishing these kinds of "help" threads is a good idea. Am I right ?