Moving iMac to UK

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by verloren, Jan 15, 2004.

1. verloren macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an LCD iMac here in the US, but in 18 months time I expect to be moving back to the UK. Anybody know if the power supply could cope with the switch, or what I'd have to do to make it work?

I spoke with a sales person who checked the spec and said the power supply was rated from something like 90V to 260V, but obviously this wasn't the kind of question he gets asked a lot!

Cheers

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

From Apple's iMac Texh Specs the Power Supply can cope with the following range of inputs:

# Line voltage: 90V to 264V AC
    # Frequency: 47Hz to 63Hz, single phase

This should work fine int he UK as we are on 240V AC, 50Hz.

3. verloren thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Robbie, that's what the sales guy said so I figured it should be OK.

Now to convince my wife that $1200 for a 17" imac is a good deal...

Cheers, Paul
    (Born in UK, live in US, die in chaos)

(edit: not a 17' iMac really!)

4. 27407 macrumors member

I just did the same thing with my G5.
    All you need to do once you get here is to buy a new "mains lead" which will allow you to plug right into the wall socket, from the mac, no other power supply adapter required.

5. verloren thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm used to PCs, so was looking for the little red toggle switch on the back of the machine to change the voltage. I guess Apple is too high quality to need something as base as a switch :)

6. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Why would you want to move to the UK, the US is a much better place to live.

7. verloren thread starter macrumors newbie

I have great admiration for the US, and love living here. But I'm not sure I'd class it as "much better" - it has its good and bad points, the same as the UK. One plus, however, is the price of computers!

Anyway, we're moving back so my kids can be nearer to their grandparents. :)

Cheers, Paul

8. phrancpharmD macrumors regular

One of the best reasons to move anywhere. We moved closer to our families before our daughter was born and I don't know how we would have made it this far without their help and support! Good luck with your move!

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Just a simple question...

How did you get about getting the name "verloren"?

I usually don't ask these kind of questions, but since I assume you are British, living in the US, I assume your Dutch isn't perfect? :D

In Dutch "verloren" means "lost"

You don't seem lost to me. :)

10. verloren thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually got the word from German, which I speak a little. I was stuck for a login one day, and having tried every combination of my name I thought I might remember, that word sprang to mind. Now I'm that everywhere! (in fact if you google for 'verloren' the first English page you get is my HydrogenAudio profile :) )

Cheers, Paul