Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulcross22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2016
Plymouth, UK.
Hi,

Forgive the odd subject title!

Is there anyway I can move the apps between a new and old HDD without having to reinstall the software?

I have iWork and photoshop CS2 and illustrator CS2 - don't really want to lose these!! Can I just copy them to a pen drive and copy back onto the new HDD once I have leopard installed?

Paul

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wouldn't.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to do that. Just uncheck everything except the Apps folder on the source drive and have it clone to the new drive.

The only other issue would be your preferences and any stuff those apps install in the various Library folders.

Is there any reason you wouldn't be wanting to do a straight up clone of the entire drive?

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
There are things that get installed in the Library folders (both System/Library and /Library) that won't transfer if you try to transfer with the ditto command or with CCC/SD. Best to reinstall and hit the serial number.

oi!

Suspended
Jan 10, 2016
I'm going to need to do that too sometime soon, where can we get Carbon Copy Cloner / SuperDuper?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.