Moving into my new Mac Book Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Scottfire, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Scottfire macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    Hi everyone,
    I'm chunking the PC and my new Mac Book Pro is on the way. As you can imagine I really want to take advantage of doing things right the first time with my new computer. So, I need to get my PC files, pictures music etc to my new Mac.
    Yes, I've done my homework and have questions about the research I found.

Question 1: Anyone had experiece with Move2Mac software for people moving into mac from pc's? If so, what is your feedback with it, does it work, speed?? and any other thoughts and ideas. This software is $49.

Question 2: support tab under "switch 101" it says use an either net cable between your PC and Mac..blah blah blah then comes to this statement

"3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to open the window.
    4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one of these formats:

* smb://DNSname/ShareName
    * smb://IPaddress/ShareName

5. Click Connect."
    How the heck do I get the pc's network address (item 4) and has anyone used this route and what are your thoughts, comments and concerns with this, SPEED????

Last but not least: iTunes.
    I'm planning on "inable iPod disk use" ie make it an external hard drive, load my pc/iTunes music folder to it, load it to "music" on the mac, then open iTunes and say "here is where you get the music". Again, has anyone done this and what are your thoughts and concerns with this.

Thanks again for any help and please keep it simple as I'm new to Mac.

2. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    1. Never used it... all I moved across from my PC was my music and photos, and I did that by DVD.

2. If you're running 2000 or XP (which you should be running) you can type cmd into the Run dialog box (start -> run) . Type "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) and somewhere on the page you should see IP Address ....... : and then a bunch of numbers. This is your IP address. I didn't use this when I switched, but I use this on a regular basis. If you have gigabit ethernet, then this is most likely the fastest method.

iTunes: You can do that... just make sure you DON'T link your iPod to your Mac's library until you copy your files across.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your Mac! You'll love it!
  3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    I don't know the answer to #1 exactly. It isn't very hard though, but I don't have a PC to go look on to find the IP.

But for the iTunes transfer you should be ok (pretty good idea too). But before you go and copy everything to your iPod check to make sure your Mac sees your Windows iPod. I know there is a particular conflict that can occur that makes the Mac not see your Windows iPod (some format issue). Which would require you to reformat your iPod on your Mac first.
  4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    you could just burn your important PC files to cd or dvd and then load em up in the mac.

I have a network at home, and when the PC was on the network. I just shared my important files/folders, then accessed them from my MBP which I also attached to my network...

now, the only non-mac on my network is a Linux file/email/web/proxy/mail server.

5. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    But then won't Windows not see it?
  6. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    if your going to use your ipod, just dump the files onto it, from your PC, the mac will see it no problems. (reads FAT filesystem)

no a bad idea (ipod idea), fast too
  7. Scottfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    #7 it!
    OK you guys know what your talking about and you know how to convey it to someone. I'm really going to enjoy the mac community.
    Thanks again guys.

OH, sorry, that leads me to another question for the IP address thing!!!! It says smb://ipaddress#####/sharename/
    what is the share name? is this where I name it whatever or just a label etc or is this too located somewhere on my computer?

PS I left a posting on the "other" forums thread/site and would you believe I hadn't had a reply in 50 something reads? I think I found my home forums!
  8. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2006
    35 Miles From Chicago, Illinois
    You could try senuti also. There is a guide on apple on howto put your music on a new computer.
  9. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    sharename gets replaced with the name of a network share. You can right click on a folder, click properties, click the sharing tab, and then you can name the folder (sharename) that you want to share.