Moving iPod from Windows to Mac...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mrgreen4242, Apr 8, 2004.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I recently bought an iPod and an iBook... the iPod came today, but the iBook is still in Tiawan somewhere, should be here Tuesday or so. I of course couldn't wait to play with the iPod, so I copied a bunch of music over to it from iTunes on my WinXP PC. I later noticed that under the Info... menu it says 'Format: Windows' or somesuch.

Am I going to have reformat the whole iPod and copy everything all over again when my iBook comes? (Shouldn't take nearly as long over Firewire, but still a PITA). Is there anything special I will need to do when I plug the iPod into the iBook, after using it with my PC?

Thanks
    Rob

2. TBR macrumors 6502

nope it'll work fine on the mac as well as the pc becouse the mac can read the pc formatted iPod.

Both my home machines are mac's but I use a PC at work so for easy transportation of files etc to and fro I have my iPod formatted as a pc iPod.

The only issue I have is that it's a little slower updating mp3's on the mac as a pc pod.

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

excellent... followup question, the ipod hacks that let you copy music from an ipod to a mac, will they work with a windows formatted ipod?

also, can i reformat the ipod with my mac, if I so choose, or am i stuck now? just curious :)

thanks,
    Rob

4. Frisco macrumors 68020

The hacks should work fine. Yeah when you get your iPod you can format it as a Mac iPod using iPod Restore. You of course don't have to format it if you don't want to as said above. If you are going to use the iPod on both Windows and Macs I would keep it Windows formatted, because Macs can read both Windows and mac iPods, but Windows can't read Mac formatted iPods.