Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfyoung10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2015
Santa Cruz Ca
I recently attempted to move my iTunes collection from my PC (actually from the backup drive) with only partial success. I copied the entire iTunes folder from \users\myname\music on the PC to the Users Myname Music folder on the Mac, and the music that was contained in that folder shows up fine in the iTunes app on the Mac. However, I also had about 50-60 GBs of music stored in c:/MP3s on the hard drive on the PC that was recognized by the iTunes on the PC, having been loaded into iTunes from various sources from that folder. When I originally put the music from MP3s into the PC iTunes app, I did not check the box that would have loaded the new music into the iTunes folder itself. The playlists referring to the missing music show up in the new iTunes app on the Mac, but music itself is not found, seemingly regardless of where install the MP3s folder on the Mac hard drive. I have tried it in the root directory, under users, under users Myname, under Music, under iTunes, everywhere I can think it might be recognized, all to no avail.

I know I can go back and reload each MP3 subfolder into iTunes, but that will be a lot of work. Anyone have any idea how I can do this wholesale?

Thanks!

Mickey8297

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2009
PA
Take a look at this page. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201625

I would recommend that you follow the first section of this guide and go back to the PC, "organize" you library so it puts all of your songs into the iTunes folder, then copy that folder to your Mac. That way everything will be organized and makes backing up you library much easier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.