Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Am I in the right forum ? I have downloaded several audiobooks to my iPhone 5S, but to save space on this MacBook Air have kept my iTunes library for some time on External Drive A. I now want to move it to External Drive B. I have attempted to do this via instructions that can be found via Google, but so far with no success. Can some kind soul tell me in very simple language what the necessary steps are ?

Last edited:

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
A simple drag and drop from External A to External B should work. Then start iTunes while holding down the Option/Alt key and navigate to the Library on External B.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
A simple drag and drop from External A to External B should work. Then start iTunes while holding down the Option/Alt key and navigate to the Library on External B.
Thank you, but what is the exact name of the file that I am to drag and drop ?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Its not a file u drag, its a folder..

Move the "iTunes" folder in Music from External A to External B, then do as above.

You can go to that folder and move certain files u want, but u may stuff up iTunes library in the process..

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204318

Best bet is to just move the entire folder across.

paieye

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Its not a file u drag, its a folder..

Move the "iTunes" folder in Music from External A to External B, then do as above.

You can go to that folder and move certain files u want, but u may stuff up iTunes library in the process..

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204318

Best bet is to just move the entire folder across.
[doublepost=1474960288][/doublepost]It turns out that what I need to do is: 1. Find the iTunes library folder on the old external drive -- there may be more than one shown. 2. Drag and drop the folder to the new drive. 3. Launch iTunes Preferences by launching iTunes with Option-key pressed down. 4. Choose Change. 5. Select iTunes Library.itl and click O.K. 6. Success ! Thank you all for your suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.