1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Moving large library from Pc to Mac

Discussion in 'iPod' started by alphacourt, Sep 30, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

2. macrumors 6502a

I moved my wife's iTunes library from a PC by copying the whole iTunes folder from Windows "My Music" to Mac, then opening the iTunes Music Library.xml on the Mac (using TextWrangler) and doing a wholesale "Search and Replace" where "Replace" was "C:\Documents and Settings\Monica\My Documents\My Music" and "with" was "file://localhost/Users/Monica/Music/", IIRC

Create a single-file Library on a Mac and take a look into the xml file on a Mac and on the PC so you'd catch the difference between them (the data from <key>Music Folder</key> on the Mac and the relevant one on the PC will be helpful to sort out the paths)

Edit: and I think I did delete all the iTunes files except from the .xml one on the Mac and jsut let the library rebuild...

3. macrumors newbie

Thanks, hwojtek. I tried that just after posting last night - when i save the XML file and start iTunes it seem to revert back their old locations - file://localhost/F:/ME/iTunes/iTunes%20Music - although any files that i've manually replaced in iTunes retain the correct location - file://localhost/Users/Me/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music.

4. macrumors newbie

Just trying out the Itunes Track CPR script from Doug's Scripts.