Moving more than 1 icon resets desktop/finder help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Sushij, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Sushij macrumors newbie

Hi, I seem to have a little problem. Sometimes, not always, when i highlight more than one item on my desktop and try to move/drag to it a folder on the desktop it simply hangs for a moment, then its like the entire desktop relaunches its self. :confused: Then i have to go one at a time. This happens usually when i export a bunch of pics from iPhoto to the desktop and then want to move to folders. Not a horrible thing, just sometimes annoying. Anyone have any idea on why this happens? I have a 15" ALPB w/768 RAM and Panther all the way. Thanks for your time.

Jeff Hamarstrom :confused:

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Never heard of this before. Are you running the routine software maintenance? (cron jobs) Download a copy of MacJanitor at versiontracker to do that.

Have you rebuilt permissions? (Applications-->Utilities-->Disk Utility-->Repair Permissions)

Good luck!

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Actually this is a really widespread Finder bug in 10.3 it only happens when multiple images are selected and dragged on the Desktop, though it doesn't effect all users. It's usually caused by having both "Show Icon Preview" and "Show Item Info" enabled in Desktop View Options. Deselecting one or the other usually cures it, or you could trash Finder prefs though the problem usually re-occurs after awhile.

It happened to me all the time, I can't live without "Show Icon Preview" and "Show Item Info" so I just learned not to drag images on the Desktop.

4. Sushij thread starter macrumors newbie

Seems to have worked

Thanks Finiska, I think that did it. I had both of those on. I guess i really dont need to see all that extra info, like the size of Pics, or space on HD. Thanks for your help man.

Jeff :D

5. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Your welcome Sushij, Glad it helped.

For the benefit of anyone else experiencing this, trashing these files should solve the problem. However in my experience the problem usually re-emerges after a week or two.

/Users/YOUR_SHORT_NAME/Library/Preferences

com.apple.loginwindow.plist
    loginwindow.plist
    com.apple.systempreferences.plist
    com.apple.finder.plist
    com.apple.systemuiserver.plist
    com.apple.HIToolbox.plist

6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I have the exact same problem and I just drag one image at a time... I hope they fix that and networking in 10.4...

vSpacken