Moving music library over wifi from Mac to PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kntgsp, Sep 27, 2005.

1. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    I have a PC Laptop that I lug around because of work, and I would like to copy my iTunes library onto it so I can listen to my music at work. Can I send the file over a wifi connection since both my mac mini and laptop have wifi? I just don't want to bother burning a bunch of dvd's or getting an external drive simply for moving files that could easily be moved over a network.

What is the simplest way to do this?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Simplest way is to enable file sharing on both computers. edesignuk made an excellent and comprehensive guide to networking OSX and Windows.

Of course, it's not going to be fast but the closer the two computers are to the router, the (marginally) quicker it'll happen.
  3. bigandy macrumors G3

Apr 30, 2004
    edesign's guide is good, but i'd question the use of WiFi if the library's over a few hundred megs- because of the speed / reliability of wireless it could take forever. (If your router is 54G/AirPort Extreme, and your laptop supports it too, you can assume roughly 60 minutes per gigabyte).

If you don't want to wait so long, plug in a crossover network cable, which'll work roughly double the speed (100mbps instead of 54).

Alternatively a FireWire hard drive would do the trick in a quarter of the time it takes cabled ethernet.

Good luck, and have fun! :)
  4. lordj4000 macrumors member

Jul 17, 2005
    In unfathomable darkness
    True, although as one of the computers is a mac, you don't need a crossover cable. Any standard cat5 will do.