Moving (not copying) songs into itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bloogersnigen, Jan 29, 2006.

1. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

I just copied 30 gb of music from my friend's computer and put it in a folder on my desktop instead of directly into itunes. I disabled "copy songs to itunes music store" and imported them. How do I move them from the folder to the music library. I can't copy becasue I don't have a spare 30 gb. I want to do this becasue if I try to delete it from itunes to clear up space (or get rid of duplicates), it just removes the link from the library file; not the actual space consuming audio file.

Thanks in advance

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

1) You can't copy stuff to the music store.
    2) Try this: Delete the songs from iTunes (don't move them to the trash), then move the files/folders into yourhomefolder/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. Then add them to iTunes, and tell it to keep the library organized.

What you should have done is bring them directly into iTunes.

An alternative, is to just move them files without deleting them from iTunes. Then when you try to play or get info on the missing files, iTunes will prompt you to find it.

3. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

Opps I meant Music Library

4. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

And iTunes will recognize it as in the music folder?

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

on a mac, yes, they're good like that. after it's organized them it'll even delete empty folders in your original structure, leaving any strays it had problems with in the original folder(s) you dropped in.

i think that if the files are on the same drive and you move them (as opposed to copy) into the Music folder, you won't even have to delete them out of iTunes first because it's smart enough to know it without you having to manually update every item in the library

6. bloogersnigen thread starter macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

It updated the library by itself but didn't orginize them , they are still in a folder in users/myuser/music/itunes/itunesmusic iTunes recognizes them as regular songs that you can delete so I"ll just leave them.

Thanks so much

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

try checking the Preferences > Advanced > general tab > "keep organised"