Moving off campus

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Timepass, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Timepass macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    Hey everyone I am moving off campus with a friend starting in June (taking summer school). And I could use some help trying to figure out everything we need to take care of and need to get or make sure we have (like utilitys funtiture and other items) plus what could be random suprises that could come up in living off campus compared to on.

We should have the deposit and the house leased signed by the end of next week and deside on which place I want to say by tommorrow night or so.

We know it going to have a frig, Stove, washer and a dryer (I dont know about a dishwasher but I not going to worry about that right now). So what are the things we are going to need to make sure we have or get. Thx
  2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    In no particular order things you should have:
    Cooking utensils pots pans baking sheets
    dishes cups
    bedsheets at least two complete sets and bed of course
    computer desk and computer
    microwave *optional
    extra light fixtures ie desk lamps
    curtains some rental places dont have them
    plunger for drains
    screwdrivers and hammer and nails
    duct tape
    rugs if place has uncarpeted floor
    hangers for clothes
    household cleaning products ie if the floor is carpet get a vacuum cleaner, if tile or wood get mop etc.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    No need for a dishwasher.

Make sure you have money for deposits on phone lines, setting up power etc. Good cleaning products, a microwave is really handy, some sort of TV/DVD/Stereo setup.

A vacuum if you have carpets/good broom if it's hard floors.

Lots of plastic storage containers for food/left overs to freeze.

A budget and a decsion on how the two of you will share the work/bills etc. Make sure you stick to it.
  4. Timepass thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005
    hmm did think of the things to store stuff in the freezer
  5. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    First and only rule:
    Agree on everything that could be a problem to sort out later.

- who collects rent?
    - who's turn it is to clean up for the week?
    - who pays for which bills?
    - who brings the big electronics (tv, stereo, etc.)?
    - how leaving works? (switching roommates is a bitch and a half)
    - how does deposit return work? (getting your money back sucks too).

Good luck, wish I had had more in this department. Good looking out Chundles.

6. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Jul 8, 2005
    Decide what your splitting costs in and what your bringing on your own, I love living with my friend, the key is don't spend TOO much time together, just enough so you stay how you were before otherwise your going to get sick of each other.

And may I suggest, instead of a phoneline, get a cellphone each, it actually comes out better because you receive your own calls and can have it all the time.
  7. Timepass thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 4, 2005

yeah we thought about not getting a land line. Only thing we worry about going that route is the lack of having a local number. Which can be an issue because for example some one calling me it is long distances. My parents dont want to switch me over to a local number because then they can not call me with out it being a long distance call.

It something we have though about. Just the lack of a local number could be a problem. I know it bothers some people now that they can not reach me though a local number.

Yeah we know spliting cost up is a issue and something we addressed pretty quickly. That is just everythign 50-50. As for stuff we be working that one out but I dont think that will be to big of an issue something we be working out. Right now it mostly trying to figure out what little item are we not thinking about.

So far we know we need to get/bring,
    Computer desk/ and chair
    dinner table and chairs (at least 4)
    Couch/Couchs (we are thinking of at least 2)
    Enternment stand for TV/ and game consules/DVD player and stuff
    Pots and pans/ Knives/ Messuring cups/ Backing sheets (wow I just though of that)/mixing bowls.
    Silverware/ Cups/ Plates and bowls
    Cleaning suplys for bathroom and kitchen
    Laundery stuff (not to much of an issue on that. Already bring that for laundry any how)
    Wireless router (only thing we need to buy for our computers oddly enough)

We know we need to contact the power company, water, gas and that stuff. Contact Cox cable for internet (We are going with out cable TV not worth the cost)
    We are figuring putting everything in his name because he is going to be up here longer than me.
  8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    a couple roommates splitting vonage can be very economical! I haven't had this problem in college very often, I left my number as it was and no one has ever complained. I mean most of my friends are cell phone only and most don't pay long distance anyway
  9. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah

If you are getting Cable internet, then get the cheapy Vonage plan so you can have a local number for people to get a hold of you.
  10. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Long distance number? Local number? What the hell is that?

j/k :p

But seriously, nobody in college knows or cares about long distance anymore.