Moving old Stuff into new iMac- Possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MrMacMan, Dec 26, 2002.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Well I got a new iMac 800 MHZ 17" screen yesterday and then I thought wait what am I gonna do with all the stuff I had prior to getting this.
    Meaning, most my stuff on my 233 iMac needs to get moved to the new iMac. Hm... I was thinking of a good way to go such, it's will not be Much. The old iMac only had 4 GB of stuff on it anyway, but like I wanted to move My AIM, IE Fav's list, DII Single Player Char's onto the new iMac, I was looking for an easy solution.
    And here i sit. Trying to find a solution.
    Some things you need to know to help me. iMac 233 has no OS X, or Firewire. All of my games I can re-install but it's just a hassel.
    If there is anyway to move most of my stuff easily (if best) post and help me out, okay?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well, as far as physical connections go, get an ethernet crossover cable and set up temporary networking between the two. Hell, if you're going to keep the old iMac, you can leave the connection and share your internet connection between them.

As far as the actual files, i think it depends. Most programs can easily recognize the 9 file formats, if there's a difference at all. But you're probably going to have to hand-copy everything you want, unless there's some handy migration tool out there i don't know about... others can be more helpful here, i haven't used OS 9 in a loooong time..

:)
    pnw

3. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah the network is no prob.
    I have one of them routers since I got airport for the laptop so that is fine, but I don't want to start burning disks inless I NEED to.

4. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:kicks thread to top:
    THERE YOU GO.
    --------------------------
    So people I really wanted a responce today... Can anyone help, thanks anyway guys.:D

5. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Assuming you have 9 and not 8.6... In IE choose export favorites, or something like that. Then you can just open that in IE OS X and transfer all you favorite to their respected places. As for the AIM, just reenter your information into iChat and you'll be up and running. Sorry, but I know nothing about the last application you mention. Hope I was of some assistance. :D

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you use the AIM client instead of switching to iChat, you don't even have to transfer your buddy list, since AIM keeps it on their server. Just identify your AIM account, set your preferences, and your buddy list will appear. The current AIM client is version 4.5.863.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

If you network them, or already have them networked (i can't tell) why would you have to burn CDs???

:)
    pnw

8. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

I had to do the same thing. Since my old mac couldn't burn cds, I bought a usb flash drive to transfer files. It was easier than a network setup, reusable, cheaper and smaller than a Mac compatible cd burner and I can use for any computer I work with, including the pc in my office. And if you buy MS office for Mac right now, you can get a 128mb drive for free. I went through the whole process and this was by far the best choice for me.

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

hey, if you have an external drive pop the ol one in it for a bit and transfer that way. the thing is without OS X, i dont see why you would not want to re-instally ou games. most of the file locations are different on a machine with OS X.

good luck.

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Why can't you just network the two computers? Okay, here is what you do. On the old iMac you go to Control Panels> File Sharing. Then turn on File Sharing. Now, go to the new iMac and go to the Go>Connect to Server. Your old iMac should come up in the list. Now, you just enter the password you set (or no password or whatever), and you enter your old iMac's hard drive. Then just drag the files over to the correct places.

Simple. :D

irmongoose

11. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:Looks at the two computers:
    Nooo... I can't do that... can I ?:D
    I'll check if I can in a second.

12. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

SCORE!!!! :D
    Yes, I enabled everything from file sharing to FTP access and it worked, thanks guys. :D
    Just the files are taking a while... oh well.

13. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

IE seems not to want to give up its fav's cause the export/import buttons are grayied out.

Oh yeah thanks anyways guys, you really helped. :D

14. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Choose organize favorites from the Favorites menu. In the subsequent window, you will be able to choose export favorites. I don't use IE now, so sorry if I confused you.

15. MrMacMan thread starter macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Thanks. :D