Moving oversea with an iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrisblaze, Dec 29, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I recently took a job in Germany, I have an AT&T unlocked iPhone 5. Will I be able to use it with T-Mobile or O2? If so can I use LTE on these carriers? Same with the 4th Gen iPad, I'm thinking about getting on but I don't know of I need to get an AT&T or Verizon model, or would
    it be better sell my phone and get one in Germany.. If I go that route, are the phones unlocked?

2. macrumors 601

Should be fine as-it, unless Germany has a predominately CDMA network (I don't know).

3. macrumors 65816

AT&T iPhone 5 only works with North American LTE bands so you're out of luck with LTE in Germany with that phone as far as I know. You can use it on GSM and HSPA+ networks either by roaming (expensively) or getting the phone unlocked so you can put a local German SIM in it.

The Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked out of the box even on contract and supports CDMA, GSM, HSPA+, and possibly German LTE but not likely.

4. macrumors 68000

Verizon has more unlocked GSM bands than the AT&T phone. However, CDMA is locked on Verizon. Should not be a problem though, as you will be using GSM in Europe.

5. macrumors member

Everything will work fine anywhere in europe, just no LTE. But, depending where you are you might not need it at all. I'm getting ~17Mb/s on 3G. One thing that comes to my mind though is warranty, not sure if they will service it.

6. macrumors 68020

For LTE in Europa on iPad you'll need the Verizon model.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

For LTE in Europe on iPhone, the Verizon model is more likely to work. The AT&T model will not support European LTE networks.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

7. macrumors 68020

Just sell your US version and buy a new one when you get there, not an issue.

8. thread starter macrumors member

I'd love to sell it and get another one, but the price of a 32gb phone is over $1k USD.

9. macrumors 603

blueroom

Unlocked 32GB iPhone 5 from Apple is $749 USD Ahh in the Germany Apple Store never-mind.

10. thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably get it... worse case.... I'll have to send it back to get refunded... I was hoping that someone has already tried this so I didn't have to be the guinea pig!