Moving PC hard drive to G5

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by benwa02, Dec 6, 2004.

1. benwa02 macrumors 6502

I am planning on purchasing a G5 come january or sooner and currently own a PC. This is probably a stupid question but i was wondering if i could move my western digital hard drive from my PC to a G5. Thanks for any help im sure you avid MAC users will have a quick answer.

2. OryHara macrumors regular

Not sure if this will help, but...

im not sure about physicaly moving the HDD. if you want to copy all the data to your G5 all you need is a regular Cat-5 cable. Just set file sharing on both computers and you should be good to go.

3. diamond geezer macrumors regular

If your Western Digital Drive isn't an SATA drive then you'll need an SATA-ATA adapter. The PC drive should appear on the Mac desktop ok with the need for formatting.

4. barrettd macrumors regular

Along these lines, I've got a 120GB SATA drive in my PC. I've got a G5 coming soon. Do I need to prep the drive at all before connecting it to the G5? I take it from your statement I can just plug it in, then reformat in OSX.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Yep its that easy. And usually it will ask you if you want to reformat when you login with it for the first time.

6. barrettd macrumors regular

Thanks! I'm going to love switching, once and for all.

7. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome. i just got home and pulled out the manual for my WD hard drive and it says it can work an MAC OS 8.6 or later so i assume im all set.